Bonsai Album makes keeping track of your Bonsai or Penjing collection easy. Track development of your trees throughout their lives, on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch!
Whether you're new to Bonsai, a collector, or a dealer, Bonsai Album is the ideal tool for organizing your trees, pots, and notes.
Here's what you can do with Bonsai Album:
- Record details about your trees, including age, source, style, species, and dimensions.
- Select from over 200 species names (with common and botanical names), or add new species.
- Store pot details, along with photos.
- Track styling, fertilizing, and other events for every tree and pot in dated log entries.
- Create and edit log entry reminders linked to your calendar.
- Add multiple photos per tree, pot and log entry.
- Add text captions for each photo.
- Select photos to appear on the main thumbnail display for each tree or pot.
- Scroll through photos in a full-screen gallery view, or in thumbnail form.
- View your bonsai and pot collections in table form, or by image.
- View the log history for each tree or pot, sorted by date.
- Review statistics for your collection.
- Protect your data with a passcode lock.
- iOS4 multitasking and Retina graphics support.
- Database backup, restore, import and export over WiFi to your computer's web browser.
- Transfer the complete database between devices (iPad / iPhone / iPod) over WiFi via Bonsai Album BDBI-format support.
- CSV format support to import / export your Bonsai Album database to and from desktop spreadsheet applications.
- Bonsai Report export feature. View your bonsai and pot collection on your computer’s web browser. Great for keeping track of your collection for inventory or insurance purposes.
- iPad support at no extra charge!
Please note that Bonsai Album does not come preloaded with any photos, nor does it include any bonsai care information and so forth. It only tracks information and displays photos you’ve added yourself.
Please visit http://BonsaiAlbum.com for more information about Bonsai Album, including contact details to ask questions, request features, or report any issues. Join the Facebook page to discuss Bonsai Album with other fans.
- Bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Just about Perfect
This app lets you track pretty much everything imaginable for bonsai. It has preloaded categories to track (fertilized, repotted, etc.) and provides the option to add your own custom categories. The photo tracking is intuitive, though I haven’t found a way to sort photos by date to track progress over time. (You can link photos to your log, so it’s possible to do. I just don’t know a way to sort in photo view other than manually.)
As a database, this app is awesome. When you update anything, everything linked is updated. So if you change the name of a pot, the app automatically updates the bonsai linked to that pot. Basically, the app “just works.”
The only thing I might add is a way to create notes or logs on a global scale. For instance, I’d like a way to create one note that I fertilized all trees of a species on the same date and have the log available under each tree. This isn’t a dealbreaker to me though — bonsai is a slow, meticulous journey, and each plant demands its own care. Perhaps it’s best to take 30 seconds and write a journal entry for every tree, every time. :)
Disclaimer: I’m just beginning my bonsai journey. So there may be a formal method of journaling that I’m not aware of. However, this app is well-organized as a database app, and fits my needs perfectly.
Having a hard time saving my tees in this app. I have 52 trees but for some reason cannot save the info. The save at the upper right of the iPad doesn’t work.
Developer Response ,
The Save button is only enabled when the tree has text entered into the Name field. If you’ve entered some text and the button is still disabled, please contact me via the email link in the app (Tools screen, info button top-right) or via my website.
App doesn’t let me import/export from existing database. More importantly, it freezes up when I try to add new bonsai. Wish I could get a refund!!
- Andrew Nicolle
- 5.7 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2017 Andrew Nicolle
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.