Boondocking usually refers to free camping in remote areas. This app shows over 300 boondocking locations throughout the US from www.boondocking.org.
- Shows distance from your current location to the boondocking location.
- View multiple map types such as Open Street Map.
- Get info about each boondocking location.
- Mark locations as Favorite locations.
- Get the local weather for the location.
- Send location data directly to our Road Trip Planner app.
- Cache non-Apple maps for offline use.
- Elevation filter allows you to select only those locations that fall into an elevation range. Select high elevation locations in the summer and low elevation locations in the winter.
Bug fixes and performance enhancements.
Ratings and Reviews
Needs more users to report Boondocking spots
The app has potential for being pretty good. But it’s not an app where the developers go and find spots for the app. It’s an user based app, meaning people have to report of a camping spot, either it be a campground (Not really what the app is designed for), free camping areas (getting a little closer to intent of app), but more importantly boondocking areas. It’s a scattering of users free camping/boondocking spots, just doesn’t have a lot of them. If you find a spot on this app and you camp there based on someone else’s work finding it and posting it, pay it forward and post a spot of your own on the app for others to be able to use to. That’s the only way it can get better. I can find numerous campground apps all day long. In the middle of nowhere free camping spot apps.... not so much.
As opposed to the 6,000+ FREE campsites on other apps- this is by far the most pathetic data base. While only a handful of locations come up in Arizona alone, you can’t help but laugh. There are far better apps clearly developed by more passionate individuals who undoubtedly have a greater appreciation for the outdoors than this app attempts to portray. Accessing a more accurate database would a lone be a phenomenal service to this app- displaying just some of the lack behind this app.
Very clear and informative
I have downloaded every app that I could find on camping, boondocking, RVing etc. and this little gem is one of the easiest to use and provides awesome information. Obviously made by someone who understands both boondocking AND programming. Thanks so much to the creator(s) of “Boondocking”!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.