Borderlands Game Of The Year
By Feral Interactive Ltd
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Bloodthirsty bandits. Vicious monsters. Tons of loot. Lock, load and face the madness.
Please check the system requirements below before you buy.
Gearbox Software’s acclaimed sci-fi hit comes to the Mac, complete with all four Add-On packs. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition is a unique hybrid of first person shooter and role-playing game with a super sharp visual style and a compelling four player co-op mode.
Planet Pandora is a sparsely populated wasteland where the rule of law gets rewritten daily in the smoke of the last gun battle. Civilization consists of small outposts on the fringe of human influence, in an area called the Borderlands. Pandora’s one claim to fame is a mythical Vault supposedly packed with fantastic riches.
• Unique hybrid role playing shooter that combines frantic first-person shooting action with accessible role-playing character progression.
• Super sharp graphics style gives Borderlands a unique comic book come-to-life look.
• Co-op Frenzy – drop in and out with up to 4 player co-operative for a maniacal multiplayer experience.
• Huge single-player game with four playable characters and serious replayability.
• Includes all four Add-On packs – The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot, The Secret Armory of General Knoxx, and Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution.
• Supports PS3 gamepads connected using Bluetooth®.
Important information regarding Borderlands Game of the Year Edition:
• If you require assistance, please contact our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
• Borderlands Game of the Year Edition does not support the following graphics cards: ATI X1xxx series, NVIDIA 7xxx series and Intel GMA series.
• In order to run the game with satisfactory performance, your Mac must meet these minimum system requirements: 1.4GHz CPU / 1GB RAM / 128MB Graphics Card (not Intel GMA, ATI X1xxx series, or NVIDIA 7xxx series). On older systems you may need to lower the graphical detail to ensure the game runs smoothly.
• This game is not currently supported on volumes formatted as Mac OS Extended (Case Sensitive).
• Due to a graphics card driver issue, Intel HD 5000 and Iris graphics cards are not supported in OS X El Capitan.
© 2010 Gearbox Software, LLC. Published and distributed by 2K Games under license from Gearbox Software, LLC. Borderlands and the Borderlands logo are trademarks of Gearbox Software and used under license. 2K Games and the 2K Games logo are trademarks of 2K Games in the U.S. and/or other countries. Gearbox Software and the Gearbox logo are registered trademarks of Gearbox Software, LLC in the U.S. and/or other countries. Uses Scaleform GFX © 2010 Scaleform Corporation. Scaleform GFX is a registered trademark of the Scaleform Corporation. Unreal® is a registered trademark of Epic Games, Inc. Unreal® Engine, Copyright 1998-2010, Epic Games, Inc. Uses FMOD Ex Sound System © 2010 Firelight Technologies. All rights reserved. FMOD Ex Sound System is a registered trademark of Firelight Technologies. All other copyrights or trademarks are the property of their respective owners and are being used under license. All rights reserved. The content of this videogame is purely fictional, and is not intended to represent or depict any actual event, person, or entity. Any similarity between any depiction in this game and any actual event, person or entity is purely coincidental. The makers and publishers of this videogame do not in any way endorse, condone or encourage engaging in any conduct depicted in this videogame. The ratings icon is a trademark of the Entertainment Software Association. Mac and the Mac logo are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. Feral and the Feral logo are trademarks of Feral Interactive Ltd.
What's New in Version 1.0.3
Fixes an issue with the add-on data that occurred in the 1.0.2 update:
• Adds support for additional game controllers.
• Improves performance on HD3000 graphics card.
• Adds zoom toggle option for magic mouse and trackpad users.
• Adds increased cursor control (mouse smoothing) option.
Great game, however multiplayer has been poorly implemented.
As someone who also played this extensively on the PC side, the multiplayer setup on the mac side is very cumbersome. You download an application from a third party (gameranger) which handles hosting. This means everytime you want to play a multiplayer game, you exit borderlands, and launch gameranger instead, which means everytime you have a problem hosting, you have to exit, adjust settings, and relaunch the game. Worst of all, if you would like to chat with the people you are playing with, you have to pay for a 'premium' account through gameranger. On top of that, I've found the service to be rather spotty (today I spent an hour trying to join a game, launching borderlands, and continuously timing out). So if you're buying this game to play with friends, keep this in mind!
The actual game itself is a lot of fun. Very nice visuals (UDK engine with a touch of cell shading), with some very cool open world design. Occasionaly I find myself stopping and staring at the horizon, allowing myself to travel to the location I can barely see in the distance. There are some nice atmospheric effects as well to acheive the scope of the game. This game of the year edition really has a ton of content to play through, and the randomly generated weapon system is rather addicting. I'm glad feral brought this game to mac, however the multiplayer experience (one of the best aspects of the game) has been somewhat ruined.
A great game that can be optimized for lower devices
Borderlands is an awesome game though it can make your make you macbook REALLY hot if you don’t make a couple of changes. To run the game optimally on a 2014 Macbook Air with a 1.4 GHz processor, 4 GBs of Ram and 1.5 GB graphics card, I had to limit the framerate to 30 frames per second and disable some features through the .ini files.
To access these files, open the start-up page for Borderlands, click advance settings and open the game files, click the folder MacInit and you will have access to the .ini files! By limiting the frames per second and adjusting the settings with the help of a Lag Fix guides online, the game now runs on high settings without overheating. I think Borderlands 2 preformed better, but this game doesn’t run too bad either.
Overall, I think Borderlands is a great game, though I kind of preffered Borderlands 2. Both NPC and playable characters are ok in this game, but not particularly great and the enviorements aren’t as diverse. The desert design is pretty cool though! It makes me feel like a Lone Ranger in the wild west! $30 isn’t a bad price for this game considering it includes the DLC, but you may want to hold out for a sale. At $10, this game was a steal!
[Warning: If you plan on tweaking the game, make sure to create a backup of the old .ini files just in case :) ]
Fun, but at low settings if you own an old system
I bought Borderlands going into it thinking it would run well at higher setting simply due to the fact that my system (Late 2008 Macbook Pro) easily fit all of the technical specifications. I was surprised to see that the game ran poorly at first but tweaking settings can bring you around 60 FPS even on mine. These would include no AA or VSync but you bought a Macbook so you have to give up thngs like that. I did have to set settings like texture and quality down to medium and no shadows but in a game with this type of art style, the shadows actually don't make much of a difference. The game looks good at these settings and is fun, but of course you knew that already because Borderlands is Borderlands. The game itself is of course a 5/5 and for technical specifications and the quality of the port, an ok 4/5. I must admit, most systems made later than mine can run this game no problem so for most people it would be a 5/5 so let's just go with a 10/10 for the general population and somewhere around a 9/10 for me. But to be honest, my system isn't what you'd call "high-tech" these days.
Awesome game Feral, and Gearbox respectively. Keep up the good work,
-Your truly AJ
- Category: Games
- Updated: Aug 07, 2012
- Version: 1.0.3
- Size: 9.51 GB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Seller: Feral Interactive Ltd
- © 2010 Gearbox Software, LLC. Published and distributed by 2K Games under license from Gearbox Software, LLC. Feral and the Feral logo are trademarks of Feral Interactive Ltd.
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.4 or later