By John Garrison
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Brain Shaper combines binaural beats and flashing light patterns to help you guide your mind into the desired state of consciousness. It functions similarly to the goggle based devices that retail for much more. Please note that all of the sessions start off on the same frequency, the normal waking brainwave frequency. As the session progresses they each change in different ways.
Binaural beats have been used for decades to take the mind into the lower frequencies associated with rest, meditation, or sleep and into the higher frequencies that help to awaken and invigorate the mind. Brain Shaper combines that with flashing light patterns that match the beats, and recent research on how various colors of light affect the circadian rhythms of the body.
WARNING: Brain Shaper creates a strobe light effect, people with photosensitive epilepsy should not use this program, as it may cause seizures.
The app is programmed with the following 11 brainwave entrainment sessions:
Active Concentration - This program will raise your brain wave frequency, allowing you maximum alertness to tackle whatever deserves your complete attention.
Complete Meditation - This program will take you from the average waking frequency all the way to the low delta frequencies to take you away from it all. Once at the bottom of the frequency range the program will present you with blue light, scientifically proven to react with your circadian rhythm to help keep you awake. This will allow you full control of your mind as you journey through this relaxing state.
Deep Sleep - Like the previous program, this one also takes you down from normal waking levels to the delta levels associated with deep sleep and loss of body awareness. It uses long-wavelength red light, which has less effect on the circadian system that blue light, allowing you to drift into a restful slumber.
Deep Thought Meditation - Unlike the Complete Meditation program, this one will only lower you down to the theta wave state. This frequency is associated with deep meditation and will allow you more brain activity during your session. It uses the same blue light to help keep your circadian rhythm in the waking state.
Dream Sleep - This program also takes you down to the theta wave state, but uses red light for minimal effect on the circadian rhythm. During sleep, the theta wave frequencies are associated with REM sleep and a period of dreaming.
Morning Wake - This selection is designed for short session that will invigorate your mind and bring it up from the lower frequencies associated with sleep. All of the colors used during this session contain blue light, which reacts with circadian system to bring you to a waking state.
Quick Meditation - This program is designed for shorter duration meditation sessions. It will only take you down to the alpha wave state, this will allow a quick relaxation without making it difficult to bring yourself back to an awake and fully alert state.
Relaxed to Deep Thought - This program is exactly like the Deep Thought Meditation program, except it begins your journey at the high alpha wave state. This is beneficial if you are already in a relaxed state and find the Deep Thought Meditation program starts off at too high a frequency.
Relaxed to Complete Meditation - This program is equivalent to the Complete Meditation program in the same way that the Relaxed to Deep Thought program is similar to Deep Thought Meditation. Use it if you are beginning in a relaxed state and want to go down to a deep meditation.
Tired to Deep Sleep - This program is designed for people who are already tired or relaxed and want to go down to the sleep state that the Deep Sleep program induces.
Tired to Dream Sleep - This program is designed for people who are already tired or relaxed and want to go down to the sleep state that the Dream Sleep program induces.
What's New in Version 2.8
Added a control interface to the session screen that allows you to change the static and tone volumes.
Other minor bug fixes.
Tuning fork terrific
Does the job of the $300 dedicated machines. Good stuff, great price. Would be interested in any planned add ons.
Good but glitchy. Needs work...
I had such high hopes for this app. I like this app for its visual aspect in addition to binaural wave tones. I had a programable audio/visual brain wave machine back in the 90s and I feel the visual input is very important. This app does that and I really like the varying and changing colors.
However. This app is glitchy as hell. Here is a list of what drives me nuts about it:
- The timer is hit or miss. I have chosen 10 minutes for the morning wake and timed the actual program to run for only 4 minutes. Other programs are as equally whacky about their lengths regardless of what I choose for the timer. The timer vs program can also be glitchy in that when the program ends, you are stuck with a blank screen until the timer ends.
- You cannot switch programs easily as the second program you try will NOT be what you want but a hyper tone and extreme rapidly flashing yellow screen. A full restart of the phone is needed to sample/use a different program (both iPhone 4 and iPhone 6). That is a major fail in my book. How crappy is all that extra waiting and work if you simply tapped the wrong button?
- I have selected a program, generally Morning Wakeup, and have greeted by a SCREECHING audio track. Sometimes it goes away if adjust the tone volume during the program… sometimes not and you have to completely restart the phone. The screeching is grating and abusive BEYOND description. If you're wearing headphones, god help you! LIke a knife through your head.
- on my wife's iPhone6 she experiences a micro-stutter in the audio/visual which yanks her out of the benefit of the program instantly.
I want to love this app. I'd say it's between two and three stars but I think giving it three is too much. If the glitches can be worked out it could be so much better and easily a four star from me.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Lifestyle
- Updated: Jun 26, 2013
- Version: 2.8
- Size: 0.7 MB
- Languages: English, Danish, French, Japanese, Serbian, Spanish
- Seller: John Garrison
- © 2010 Imperial Penguin
Compatibility: Requires iOS 4.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.