BrainWorks provides kids with the sensory breaks they need to function their best!
Occupational Therapists and other specialists often recommend “sensory breaks” to children with sensory processing disorders, Autism Spectrum Disorders, ADHD, ADD, learning disabilities, and typically developing kids who struggle with certain forms of sensory input. Due to their sensory issues, these children often have difficulty remaining on task, engaging in social interactions, and may have frequent meltdowns. The pro-active use of sensory breaks can be a quick and effective way to prevent or minimize these issues. BrainWorks takes the guesswork out of what activities will be the most helpful to these children and allows parents and teachers to easily provide the much-needed sensory breaks!
The BrainWorks App comes fully loaded with over 200 sensory activities and more are being created on a regular basis. The app is fully customizable and is equipped with the following features:
• Locations – the app provides different default activity lists for the following five locations: Home, School, Community, Desk/Table, and Clinic. Location can be removed if not needed and location names and images can be customized.
• Sensory System Descriptions – After selecting his/her location, the child is asked to select how they are feeling by tapping the picture/title that best describes them at the moment: Just Right, Slow & Sluggish, Fast & Stressed, Fast & Hyper. For kids who are already familiar with the online version of BrainWorks or the physical BrainWorks products, a tachometer is next to each of the “Blue Guys” demonstrating the sensory speeds. The list of available activities will depend on the child’s sensory system selection. The sensory system descriptions and images are fully customizable.
• Activity Lists – the app provides a default visual list (picture and title) of activities that may be available in each of the four locations. The adult caregiver can easily remove activities from each list based on equipment availability and appropriateness for the user. Within the Settings mode, adults can read a description of the activity and see what equipment is needed for each one. Many activities do not require any equipment at all.
• Timer – the adult caregiver can determine the length of the sensory break (2 to 20 minutes). While using the app, the child will see a visual timer at the top of the screen counting down. The timer is optional and does not appear unless the adult selects it.
• Custom Activities – The adult caregiver can add sensory activities to the app by giving it a title, adding a photo, and picking which lists it should appear on.
* PLEASE NOTE: Set-up is required prior to use by a child. Adults should plan to spend 30 minutes customizing the app in order for the child (or children) to get the most out of it.
Thousands of kids are already using the research-based BrainWorks products in their classrooms and homes. The BrainWorks app was created to meet the demand for this product to be available anytime and anywhere!
* Ability to add custom activities
* Ability to add multiple users with unique activity lists
* Fully customizable location, feeling, and activity lists
Ratings and Reviews
I bought this to use with my son after seeing it at a continuing ed class I took from an OT. I didn’t feel there was much variety in the activities. I was hoping to set it up for him to use in his classroom, but a lot of the activities require special equipment and aren’t practical. There are a handful he could use, but might as well have a piece of paper at his desk with those 5 listed.
The app is working differently
I'm not sure if it was with the most recent app update or the ios9 update but you now need to go into settings -> activities and choose each activity. Prior to the ios9 update, all activities showed up.
12/5/15 I just dropped rating down. I was hoping it was going to get fixed but it still is not working. Even though activities are set up to show up under the various categories, they don't! I also paid for this app and want a functional app back.
We have used the app in the past and I reloaded on my new phone because we need help as we just started kindergarten and nothing! You pick a zone and it goes to the timer running - NO ACTIVITIES even after checking settings to make sure they are set. What do I do now? Help was no help! And online technical support says try again latter. I paid $8.99 for this app originally I think - one of the only apps I have ever paid for because my OT recommended it. So disappointed.
- Sensational Brain, LLC
- 122.1 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © Sensational Brain LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.