break is a lightweight, native app for accessing School Loop. It aims to provide an easier to use, more feature rich alternative to the official School Loop app. With it, you can:
• Do everything you can do with the official app. Check grades, send LoopMail–it's all there and easier to use than ever.
• Recieve notifications. Grade changed? Got new LoopMail? With break, you're always in the know.
• Access your locker, without your computer or iPad. Need to check on a file? Use the built-in file viewer, or switch over to a dedicated app in a flash.
• Add your own assignments to the gradebook, to see how they affect your grade. Change anything from the weighting of any category to the score of that regraded test and see the results immediately!
• Keep your grades away from prying eyes with an app password. If you have a device with Touch ID or Face ID, you can use it for extra security and convenience.
• Check your grades on the your wrist with the bundled Apple Watch app.
• Take advantage of the latest iOS technologies to enhance your experience. Animation, gestures, 3D Touch, SFSafariViewController…and much, much more!
Plus, break will always be free and open source!
So, iOS 12 brought some fixes for split views that unfortunately broke the workaround I had in place for this bug. So this version of break has a fix for a bug fix that caused a bug in a workaround for the bug. Whew. There's also an improvement in the layout of the locker and an alternative synchronization mechanism for some internal data structures, since the locking used in the last build didn't seem to fix the issue.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app, could use a few more features
This app is great for checking to see how my grade would change if I had received a different score, or the score I need to get a certain grade. However, I still use the regular school loop app for everything else because of its appearance. This app does not look that great: some colors for classes are very similar, the UI is bland, and the items are close together. If I could suggest a couple of features, I might say to add the ability to change the color of specific classes. I would also appreciate if the point value for assignments and the period they belong to are visible on the assignments page. Overall, this is a great app for experimenting with your grade, but I don’t think it is suitable (in my opinion) for primary use at this state.
Great features but bad interface
Make the assignments and grades of your class easier to read. It’s an eye sore. But love the features of the app. Also some of the buttons to edit your grade are hard to press. Maybe you should have to click on the assignment then change the grade easily. And when you add assignments you should have it the same way. So it’s easier to choose categories instead of trying to click on a little area on the screen.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback; I'm always open to suggestions on how to make break better and easier to use. Would you mind dropping me a line at email@example.com if you have time so that you could go into your improvements in more detail to make sure that we're on the same page regarding what you want?
Functional and beautifully designed.
This third party client is miles better than the first party one SchoolLoop offers. I love the user interface of this app, it feels like an app Apple would produce. 3D Touch is supported throughout the App. Take notes, School Loop devs!
Developer Response ,
I’ve spent a lot of time making sure that break works well with all of iOS’s technologies, so I’m glad to hear you like it!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.