Brewing with total confidence. The details make the difference between an average batch of home brew and a truly excellent brew that is repeatable. This app is a beer recipe calculator, brew session tracker, and brew log - all on your iPhone. This application is capable of syncing with the Brewer's Friend cloud solution (the application works by itself stand alone, but the sync requires a premium account at the site).
This application is ad free.
Main feature list for version 1.0:
* Complete recipe designer with pre-populated list of grains, hops, and yeast. Ability to add your own custom grains.
* Fully supports metric units!
* Work in Specific Gravity or Plato.
* OG/FG/IBU/SRM, yeast attenuation automatically calculated.
* Supports All Grain, Extract, Partial Mash, BIAB.
* Tells if recipe matches style.
* Pick the equations and units you prefer.
* No Chill – Extended Hop Boil Time Supported.
* Target 'to the fermentor' or 'to the kettle' batch sizes.
* Journal for tracking events like gravity readings, volume collected, dates, and tasting notes.
* Tracks what phase the brew is in.
- Adds a brew timer feature.
- Recipe sync with the Brewer's Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- Brew session sync with the Brewer's Friend cloud is supported (requires premium account).
- User interface updates, sorting of recipes and brew sessions, performance improvements.
- Adds support for: hop stands (whirlpool and hopback hop uses), recipe CO2 level field, milliliters as unit in other ingredients section. Improves recipe listing view (shows snapshot indicator, index added).
- Adds stand alone calculators.
- 70 + yeasts added. Brands include: East Coast Yeast, Mangrove Jack, Real Brewers, Siebel Institute, and Brewferm. Make sure to upgrade now if you plan to use these and sync with the cloud. (Sync requires premium account.)
- Adds stand alone calculators: Brix/Plato to SG Calculator and Dilution / Boiloff Calculator.
- Support for batch target 'kettle' mode added for Extract and Partial Mash recipes.
- Cloud sync improvements.
- BJCP 2015 Guidelines added and fixed syncing of styles with cloud
- Updates to ingredient database
- Visual fixes to scrolling and stability in various places
Thanks for using Brewer's Friend! To improve the app (and our beer) we routinely release small bug fixes and improvements.
In this version:
- Updates to ingredients for Yeast, Fermentables, and Hops
- Minor improvements to work with latest iOS versions
Ratings and Reviews
Great for recipes!
And that is what I use it for. When I purchased I had a degree of trust for the product based off of the BF website. I was slightly. disappointed it doesn't contain the full range of brew tools found on the website, especially water calculations. However as I wanted it for an on the go/convenient non-internet reliant recipe creator that I knew would be reliable and accurate, I'm pleased. It works great and is easy to navigate, fairly intuitive navigation. I've used seemingly all the free online recipators and this app is worth the $5 to have on the phone, good value!
Great, now just a few more features!
I rely on this app every time I do a brew day. Incredibly handy to make modifications at my LHBS as I change my mind or based on the availability of ingredients. A couple things I wish would be updated: 1) The text fields scroll out of view when the keyboard pops up and it can be difficult to work with. 2) I wish I could turn on auto-syncing. I can’t tell you the number of times I made an update only to overwrite it later by accident from the web UI. 3) ingredient search.
Lost 2 years worth of recipes
The app itself is great. Calculations are very useful and quite accurate.
I have been using the app to create recipes for years. I have been a paid “Premium” member this whole time.
For some reason, my prior 2+ year’s worth of recipes showed “sync’ed” to the cloud (or wherever it is supposed to go). I had to wipe my iPhone 7+ due to the whole iOS battery scandal (another sore subject-GRRR). Once I re-installed the Brewer’s Friend app, and logged into my paid account, none of the recipes I had created on my phone (and had believed to have synced) prior to 2015 were actually stored.
I have since tried to sync newly created recipes and have synced. All the syncing does is create a duplicate recipe on the app. For some reason it won’t show up on the website version of my account when viewing on a desktop computer.
Stay away from this app if you are at all concerned about keeping your recipes!!
- BREWER'S FRIEND LLC
- 5.3 MB
- Food & Drink
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Brewer's Friend LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.