By Taptrix, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Brushes is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes 3 is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 2048x2048
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Tweet paintings
– Post paintings to Facebook
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
What's New in Version 3.1
As of version 3.1, Brushes is free/libre open-source software! Get the source code and contribute: github.com/sprang
- Updated to support iOS 7 (still runs on iOS 5 and 6)
- Updated to support new 64-bit iPhones and iPads
- Removed in-app purchase. Layer support is now included.
- Bug Fixes
Somewhat lacking, but still good
I love this app; it's been the only one to survive my rampant search for a good drawing app. Brushes is good not only for painting but also for sketching and inking! It has a very simple interface which I like; that makes it easy (at least for me) to jump right in and start drawing. Transferring a painting to your computer is quick and easy.
But if you need to make a selection of a certain space, you're out of luck, at least I'm pretty sure--this app lacks a manual of some sort, which can be frustrating.
In brief, this app scores a 4/5 for allowing even beginners to jump straight into drawing, but lacking in other features.
Completely incompatible with iOS 8
I hate to give a low rating to an app I love so much, but it's kind of unacceptable for such a popular paid app to be so far behind in compatibility with the latest OS. It's been months and still no signs of life?
I've been a loyal Brushes user starting with the original version in 2008, and really appreciated last year's rebuild. Have every faith in the developer but just not sure they're hearing the complaints--at the very very least, even if not all the functionality is restored, make it possible for us to open our old paintings without crashing? Make it possible to do a basic-level new painting even without all the fancy bells and whistles? Please! And soon...
This app was great until my iPad upgraded OS
I have used this app to teach students for the past two years and ever since I upgraded to the Apple OS 8.1.3 the Brushes app no longer lets me save/open started projects. I love this app and use it to teach art and I no longer can use it because I can't save and reopen work. Apple is of no use because they just ask if the app opens and then they stop caring. I also have lost major functionally on the app iMotion, both free and paid versions. Deleting and reinstalling does no good. These apps stopped working right after the OS update. My iPad 2 though old worked fine and now thanks to Apple they were rendering virtually useless for my teaching!
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Nov 13, 2013
- Version: 3.1
- Size: 13.0 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Taptrix, Inc.
- © 2012 Steve Sprang
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.