Brushes Redux is a painting app designed exclusively for iOS. Rewritten from the ground up, Brushes Redux is universal — the same version runs on both your iPhone and your iPad. Move paintings between your devices and keep working wherever you go.
An accelerated OpenGL-based painting engine makes painting smooth and responsive — even with huge brush sizes. Brushes also records every step in your painting. Show off your creative process by replaying your paintings directly on your device.
– Create paintings with dimensions up to 4096x4096
– Full support for all Retina devices
– Background autosave
– Unlimited undo and redo
– Simple and approachable interface
– Full screen painting
– Record and replay paintings
– Ultrafast OpenGL-based painting engine
– Huge brush sizes up to 512x512 pixels
– Simulated pressure
– 64-bit painting on the latest hardware
– 14 parameterized brush shapes
– Adjustable brush settings (spacing, jitter, scatter, etc.)
– Adjustable color opacity
– Invert color and desaturate
– Flip and arbitrarily transform layers
– Adjustable color balance (iPad only)
– Adjustable hue, saturation and brightness (iPad only)
– Create up to 10 layers
– Lock and hide layers
– Lock layer transparency
– Adjust layer opacity
– Duplicate, rearrange, and merge layers
– Change blending modes: normal, multiply, screen, exclude
Import and Export:
– Integrated with Dropbox
– Import native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, and PNG files
– Export as native Brushes 3 files, JPEG, PNG, and Photoshop files (with layers)
– Place images from your photo album into paintings
– Copy paintings to the pasteboard
– Zoom with two finger pinch
– Zoom in with two finger double tap
– Zoom to fit with two finger double tap
– Toggle interface visibility with a single tap (this can be changed to a two finger tap in the app settings)
– Tap and hold to access eyedropper tool
Screenshot credit: "Portrait of Ally" by John Bavaro (http://johnbavaro.com)
- The black artifacts are finally gone thanks to Patrice Kouame (SpiraMira)
- iPad Pro support
- Apple Pencil experimental support
- Better export support, which means you can now AirDrop, export to other apps directly from Brushes
- Import of editable Brushes files. Now you can open painting via AirDrop, from e-mails and continue working on the painting
- Enabled iTunes File Sharing to be able to access your paintings from a computer
Ratings and Reviews
Thank you for developing this app!
I used to use the other Brushes app, and I was devastated when the other app did not work anymore. I tried to find an app equivalent to it, but nothing compared. I would give you ten stars if I could. I use this app every day to plan my oil paintings. This app is simple to use, there is no need to put in extra anything. My oil paintings get rave reviews because of this app. I usually put in the half finished painting and use this app to correct the values, lines, composition, etc. Please always keep this app updated and never let it go by the wayside like the origional.
The original and possibly still the best art app.
The app came out years ago under the name Brushes. It won an Apple Design Award in 2010. David Hockney used it to create amazing paintings on his iPhone and iPad. Jorge Colombo used it to create cover paintings for the New Yorker. ABC News ran stories about it.
Brushes Redux seems to be same app updated for newer technology. Thankfully they didn't mess with it but left it simple and user friendly. This app is wonderful. I love it. I want to thank the developer for making this available and for free. This is one of the things that make the App Store so great.
Freakin amazing drawing app
I just completed a drawing on top of an imported drawing. The original was on paper, so I used a scanner app to snap a photo of it, then imported it into Brushes Redux.
I'm just flabbergasted at how simple yet amazing this app is. The final drawing came out stunning and looked as if I did it using a real pencil.
It allowed me to achieve exactly what I wanted.
When was the last time an app has done that? Or anything else for that matter?!
🙏🏼 Please, please, please developer, keep it as it is. Too many enhancements can ruin a good thing sometimes (or in most cases, like every other app in the AppStore).
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.