By Nicholas Jensen
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Buckets is an S3 client that allows you to easily manage your files, folders and, of course, Buckets!
No longer will you need to use the web interface or purchase an expensive 'do-everything' app with features you don't need. Buckets was made to be a more affordable solution for the person who only needs to work with S3.
- Features -
- Browse all of your buckets, folders and files.
- Create new buckets and assign them to any of the 8 supported regions.
- Create new folders with the + button, or by hitting Command+N within a bucket.
- Delete files, folders and buckets with the Trash Can button or the delete key.
- Copy a URL for a file by right clicking.
Drag and Drop:
- Drag and drop files/folders from your computer on to Buckets to upload.
- Drag and drop files/folders from Buckets on to any Finder window, or your Desktop, to download.
- Right-click a selection and choose "Download to ..." to download to a specific location.
- Double-click a file to download it to your Downloads directory.
- Click the transfers button in the top right to view all your active and non-active transfers.
- Cancel active transfers.
- Reload stopped transfers.
- Copy and share a URL to uploaded files by right clicking.
- Reveal the files you downloaded in Finder by right clicking.
- Notification Center and Growl 2.1 support.
- Click an Upload notification to copy a link to the file(s) that were uploaded.
- Click a Download notification to reveal the files in Finder.
What's New in Version 1.1
Bugfix for users who may receive an authentication error about invalid Date headers.
Nice Design, but crashes and missing a few key features
This app looks great, and I love the idea of a simple way to upload files to S3; I agree completely with the Buckets developers who said there’s no need for a huge “do-everything” app. That being said, there are some issues. Most importantly; I’ve opened the app 3 times and tried to upload ~10mb folders each time. Each time it froze for a bit before starting the transfer, twice it’s crashed completely and once it timed out around 80% of the way through the upload. That’s unacceptable, especially as my bulk uploads are typically much larger and I was only testing with 10mb folders.
Buckets is also missing a few key features that I’d really like to see. As a bulk uploader, I want to be able to see my transfer speed on the Transfers panel and I’d really love to be able to set a maximum upload speed so that long bulk uploads don’t choke my bandwidth.
Simple, but missing useful features.
Buckets is useful for connecting and viewing S3 buckets. Downloads work well for me, and have not failed. Deleting individual files has not yet worked. This is this biggest drawback with the application so far. For $.99, the utility works well but I would be willing to pay more to get all features working.
It gets the job done but, it crashes a lot!