Never fly alone again! Search and easily connect with pilots in your area using BuddyFlight.
If you’re a private pilot, commercial pilot, student pilot, helicopter pilot, or even fly gliders and sport aircraft, BuddyFlight was made for you! By registering for free on BuddyFlight, you can schedule buddy requests that will immediately send notifications out to all other registered pilots at your airport or flight school. You will also be able to browse other pilot’s buddy requests and receive notifications regarding new pilot requests through Apple’s iOS notifications.
Additionally, BuddyFlight enables you to filter the list of all registered pilots either in your immediate area or up to 1,000 miles away! You can filter your search by pilot credentials and ratings, geo location, aircraft type, as well as BuddyFlight user ratings in order to find the exact pilot you're looking for.
Key features of connecting with other pilots using BuddyFlight:
Increase Your Geo Airspace
Sharing costs with a flight buddy can enable longer flights for the same cost – expanding your geo airspace!
Save on Costs
Buddying-up with another pilot or student pilot can save you both time and money.
Ease of Use
BuddyFlight is simple to use. Connect with a pilot, make a buddy request, or join a buddy request in seconds!
Chat & Notifications
Message with your connected buddies. Send request notifications to pilots in your area!
Ratings and Discovery
User ratings build trust – allowing you to confidently browse and connect with other pilots at various levels. Find a mentor or be a mentor to others.
Additional Benefits and Details:
• Potential money savings, both directly by splitting flight time with another student/pilot and indirectly through increased training efficiency of ride-a-longs or discovery flights – so when you actually start flying and paying for instruction you will be more familiar and confident.
• A parallel can be made between flight buddies and aircraft crew. Most of the advantages would translate directly:
• Increased safety (two sets of eyes looking for traffic, someone to catch potential mistakes you're making, etc.)
• Increased capability working as a team – it's easier to go to more complicated airspace when one person does the flying while the other runs radios and handles navigation. Also, in an emergency situation, it is much better to have someone flying the aircraft while the other person is working on emergency procedures.
• CRM (working as a flight crew) is an important component of commercial flight training. The more experience you have flying with other people, the better crew member you will be. If you’re planning on flying for a living, CRM training is crucial.
• Simulated Instrument time. Very beneficial as pilots split the cost while logging more flight time – one pilot logs simulated instrument, the other logs PIC (pilot in command) time. Great for building up flight hours.
• Splitting costs allows for longer flights. For example, two independent hour-long rentals can get the aircraft 30 minutes from the airport twice. Two people splitting the rental can get you an hour away from the airport for the same money.
• The increase in accessible geography by splitting costs with a buddy and flying twice as far offers exciting geographic opportunities.
• Flying with another pilot on a regular basis can push you into being a more proficient and confident pilot.
Add yourself to the growing number of pilots joining BuddyFlight™! Here are some exciting new changes:
• Searching for pilots and scheduling Buddy Requests are ALWAYS FREE!
• Connecting with pilots and joining/accepting Buddy Requests is now FREE for 45 days after registration!
• Subscription plans for unlimited-use (after 45-day trial) have been drastically reduced. Annual unlimited-use subscription price has been cut by 500% to only $4.99/yr! A 3 month subscription plan has been added and is only $1.99, and the 1 month plan price has been cut 300% to only $.99/mo!
Ratings and Reviews
The app appears deserted. Supposed to help connect pilots with other pilots. From the view of my dashboard there are two of us using this app. This means I’d have about as much luck finding a flying buddy at a ballet recital. Cool idea though.
Developer Response ,
Hello Implied! Thanks for your comments. BuddyFlight™ was just released in December and has had little time to gain momentum. We have plans to increase usership and are making changes to the app itself to enable a more rapid adoption. It's free to register, search, and create requests. Also, registrants will be notified when users create a buddy request so as more pilots register, it will become more of a resource organically over time. I hope you will be able to keep BuddyFlight™ on your phone, encourage other pilots to add themselves to the database and give it a little time. Thank you so much!
- Stephen Smiroldo
- 56.1 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Stephen Smiroldo
- In-App Purchases
- 1 MONTH $0.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.