Business Model Toolbox
By Business Model Foundry
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Build better Business Models.
The Business Model Toolbox combines the speed of a napkin sketch with the smarts of a spreadsheet. It enables you to map, test, and iterate your business ideas – fast.
With the Business Model Toolbox you will be able to:
- Sketch your business model using the practical methodology from the best-selling book, Business Model Generation.
- Add ballpark figures for market size, revenue streams, and costs - faster than any spreadsheet.
- Test the profitability of your ideas with a quick report and breakdowns by offer, customer segments, and costs.
The app is based on the Business Model Canvas, a widely practiced visual template pre-formatted with the nine blocks of a business model (customer segments, value propositions, channels, customer relationships, revenue streams, key resources, key activities, key partners, cost structure).
The Business Model Toolbox is brought to you by the makers of Business Model Generation, which was selected as one of the “Best Business Books for Business Owners 2010” by Fast Company magazine. The app was developed in collaboration with Hortis le studio and alpha tested by a team of 90 business model practitioners who approved this release! Designed by Alan Smith and Alex Osterwalder at the Business Model Foundry.
Join the 100,000+ business model innovators including entrepreneurs, consultants, CxOs, coaches, and small business owners who are already using the Canvas to innovate their business.
Business Model Toolbox comes stocked with:
- 12 Revenue & cost formulas.
- Reference with definitions, examples, and trigger questions about the 9 building blocks.
- Export to JPG to include in your presentations.
- Export to CSV to refine your figures.
- Learning centre connecting to up-to-date help videos.
- Report view, with re-sortable costs and revenues to identify distribution of funds across offer, costs, and customer.
The stunning visual design and the virtual sticky notes will make it easy to abandon outmoded thinking and explore new, innovative models of value creation. It will give you the big picture of your ideas and allow you to stress test them before making costly mistakes in the real world.
Whether you're working to improve an existing business model, or to invent a new one, the toolbox will help you:
- Get a better understanding of your business.
- Draw a completely visual overview of your business model.
- Play with 12 predefined revenue and cost mechanisms.
- Test your business model based on market size, pricing, and cost assumptions.
- Collaboratively map out your business model by projecting it on a screen.
- Make mistakes here, save money in the real world.
- Create a solid basis for your business plan.
- Share your ideas using JPG's or CSV files.
For the price of a business lunch, you could be inventing or improving your business model.
This app gives visionaries, game changers, and challengers everything they need to turn business ideas into a tangible business model.
Join us, and welcome to the Business Model Generation.
What's New in Version 1.2
This updated version of the Business Model Toolbox brings better graphics and a better export functionality directly to your business model prototyping experience.
- Full support of retina display.
- Better quality image of Business Model Canvas exports.
- Elimination of known graphical bugs.
Well Designed and Executed!
At first, I was a bit put-off by the price, but since I have a few different business ideas I wanted to model, I took the plunge and purchased this. In short, I'm really glad I did! The visual drag-and-drop layout of the categorized "stickies" works VERY well when brainstorming out a new business model idea. Could you do this with paper stickies and a whiteboard? Sure. However, having it on the iPad just seems to lend itself to a smooth experience that helps the creative process.
I highly recommend watching the included tutorial videos before you start using the application. It's not difficult at all, but the videos give you an idea of the app's capabilities quickly and they give you an overview for thinking about your particular business model. They aren't long, and they get you up and running fast.
For an app of this price, I'd expect a few more features such as wireless print capability, Dropbox and/or iCloud integration, and a bit more control over the font sizing (and colors, styles, typefaces, etc.), folder management for the individual canvases, and a few other small details, but I'm guessing they'll come with time. The base functionality, however, appears to be rock solid, well thought-out, and highly usable, so these are trivial details.
If you have one business model to work-up, I'd probably use their paper form with sticky notes, but if you have more than one (or if you're a serial entrepreneur), this is an easy purchase.
Love it, but...
First up, your book the 'Business Model Generation' is a killer peace of work. Awesome!!!
Now to the app:
There's a famous ice cream store in the Unites States that sell three sizes of their incredibly delicious calorie charger: 1. Want it. 2. Love it. 3. Gotta have it.
That said, this otherwise nicely designed app needs serious updating and advancing (No update since October, 2012, really?). Please don't leave your customers feeling they bought a pricy app and now you're just sitting there listening to the 'cashing' sound.
Keep improving. Just to name a few: our canvas work needs to be exportable to any cloud and importable to any device on the same Apple account. This is standard and expected.
The high price is a road blocker. Especially when you don't know what you're getting. I recommend a lite version to evaluate in order to get more confident about spending 29 bucks.
Also, please keep taking a look at your competition, grab any of their awesome features, such as how to create your elevator pitch to investors, tips, what to keep in mind when putting your pitch together, essentials and guiding the user to a killer presentation. Now that would be VALUABLE!
I love your app, but for me and people to say "I gotta have it", the app team will need to step it up. Cheers.
Good canvas generator - not geared for "lean startup" process
The app is good at setting up a biz canvas. If you just want to tap out your 9 canvas boxes on your iPad you'll find this sufficient, but there is a free app that does the same thing.
But if you are running an iterative lean startup "search/learning" process, then this app DOES NOT support the important features you would want:
- cannot track canvas revisions as you get out of the building and turn hypotheses into facts
- no good way to share the canvas with teammates
(You can only export a static image and share via email)
- cannot export my notes/analysis for each block of the canvas (I only get to see the sticky note, not my notes behind it)
- no place to write down my pass/fail tests
- no place to record results from customer interviews (ie the result of the pass/fail test)
Creating a single static canvas is not why i bought this tool. i am following along with the Udacity course videos and books, and I thought somehow this tool would be related to "lean startup process". It is not related at all.
As is, this is tool is for typing notes into a 9-box canvas and tracking market size estimates.