By Metaclassy, Lda.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Byword is designed to make writing more enjoyable with Markdown on your Mac.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing more enjoyable using Markdown
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for extra efficiency
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Premium feature: Publish to WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, Scriptogram and Evernote
# Blog publishing — Premium only[^1]
Publish to WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, Scriptogram blogs and Evernote notebooks from Byword. Posting to your blog with Byword is as simples as:
1. Write something in Byword
2. Open File menu and select Publish
3. Confirm post title, tags, categories, etc.
[^1]: Requires a one-time in-app purchase to enable Premium on all your Mac devices. Enabling Premium upgrade on iOS requires a separate purchase.
# More features
- List continuations
- Typewriter scrolling mode
- Great text manipulation helpers
- Word and character counters with live update
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Extensive VoiceOver API support for visual impaired users
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Enhanced for OS X Mavericks
- iCloud: Sync your documents seamlessly across your devices
- Full-screen: Get even more immersed in your words
- Autosave: Time to stop worrying about saving your work
- Versions: Review past iterations of your compositions
- Resume: Always open your documents where you left off
- Tags: A powerful new way to organize your files
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support over email. If you have suggestions or questions, please contact us using one the methods below.
What's New in Version 2.1
* Updated for OS X Mavericks
- Scrolling performance has been improved specially for longer documents
- Improved PDF export
- Minimum OS X version is now Mountain Lion (10.8)
* Support for GitHub fenced code blocks in Markdown
* Other minor bug fixes and improvements
Best in class for beauty and simplicity; for lacking features, just add Marked
I’ve tried pretty much all the Markdown editors for OSX out there, and this is my favorite by a wide margin. Unlike the others, the text you type is beautiful to look at. This editor doesn’t get in your way, and it isn’t larded with extra features that would just distract you from writing, like different themes and whatnot. My only minor complaint is that it doesn’t support all Markdown features, like TOC to display a table of contents. No matter; if you need and want those features, just use the read-only renderer Marked for OSX (version 2, not version 1 — although version 1 is still fine, version 2 is even better, but it’s easy to accidentally purchase version 1).
Great NaNoWriMo helper
Just finished National Novel Writing Month using Byword on my MacBook Pro. Having full-screen mode to immerse yourself in the story and Dropbox support for syncing with all devices gives you all you need to power through.
For my particular brain, type writer mode makes things so much nicer than other editors. Having the line of text you’re typing centered on the screen instead of at the bottom of the screen is very nice. But that’s if your brain is wired like that.
Did notice a little bit of a slowdown on creating new paragraphs after about 40,000 words, but not bad enough to really be a problem.
And zero crashes. Highly recommended.
I want to love it. iCloud handling especially buggy.
I really want to love ByWord. It runs on my iPhone, my Mac, and my iPad. It's beautiful. But it's buggy. The iCloud sync and the Dropbox sync sometimes take *many* seconds, much more than any other app. The desktop version hangs often when doing file operations. I tried to move a document to iCloud and it completely hung. I tried to rename a file and it completely hung. The actual composition capability is gorgeous, but the surrounding implementation is mediocre at best.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Nov 21, 2013
- Version: 2.1
- Size: 3.8 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Metaclassy, Lda
- © Metaclassy, Lda.
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases