By Metaclassy, Lda.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Byword is designed to make writing more enjoyable with Markdown on your Mac.
# Key features of Byword
- Designed to make writing more enjoyable using Markdown
- Sync text documents across all your Mac, iPhone, iPad devices
- Comprehensive keyboard shortcuts for extra efficiency
- Alternate dark theme for extra comfort in low-light situations
- The most complete Markdown support including footnotes, tables and cross-references
- Export documents to PDF and HTML documents
- Premium feature: Publish to WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, Scriptogram and Evernote
# Blog publishing — Premium only[^1]
Publish to WordPress, Tumblr, Blogger, Scriptogram blogs and Evernote notebooks from Byword. Posting to your blog with Byword is as simples as:
1. Write something in Byword
2. Open File menu and select Publish
3. Confirm post title, tags, categories, etc.
[^1]: Requires a one-time in-app purchase to enable Premium on all your Mac devices. Enabling Premium upgrade on iOS requires a separate purchase.
# More features
- List continuations
- Typewriter scrolling mode
- Great text manipulation helpers
- Word and character counters with live update
- Spell and Grammar checking and Dictionary lookup
- Extensive VoiceOver API support for visual impaired users
Here are some ways to use Byword in your life:
- For posting to your blog without using clunky web interfaces
- For research, meeting and class notes
- To write that important email without being distracted
- To capture ideas and notes and have them available in all devices
# Enhanced for OS X Yosemite
- iCloud Drive: Sync your documents seamlessly across your devices and apps
- Handoff: Start writing on your iPhone and pick up where you left off when you sit down at your Mac
- Full-screen: Get even more immersed in your words
- Autosave: Time to stop worrying about saving your work
- Versions: Review past iterations of your compositions
- Resume: Always open your documents where you left off
- Tags: A powerful new way to organize your files
We are proud to provide a super friendly customer support over email. If you have suggestions or questions, please contact us using one the methods below.
What's New in Version 2.3
- Handoff for iCloud documents. If you are working on a iCloud document on your Mac, you can pick up exactly where you left off on your iPhone or iPad when you leave your desk.
- Support for iCloud Drive
- Improvements for OS X Yosemite
If you write you NEED this
No matter what you write…poetry, fiction, essays, or blogs (so unpoetic that word “blog”) you need this application. For years I wanted to give up on the computer and return to the days of my manual typewriter. It was simpler and never got in the way of what I was trying to write. Byword has “line focus” which is as close to a typewriter as you can get in this day and age. Plus full screen and paragraph focus. This is a writer’s application. Who cares about all the bells and whistles, all those font choices…by the time you make all those decisions in Word whatever was in your mind pressing to be released his flown. I have this on every one of my Apple products and with iCloud the writing process is seamless. I can start a poem on my Macbook Air in my backyard, add a few lines on my phone at the Doctor’s waiting to see him, then late at night when the words so often come, I can grab my iPad off the nightstand and capture them. If only Apple made a device for the shower because that’s when the real writing comes, once your hair is full of shampoo. Listen up Tim Cook!
Versatile and good value
In the context of owning far too many text editing and word procesing programs (everything for Mac OS X except Microsoft Word), Byword is easily the most versatile. For simply sitting down and writing, it is increasinly my first choice. I write overnight concert reviews, and my favored working method has been to capture notes in nvALT, using Markdown, use Byword as my text editor for the fully realized review, and export it directly to the format my editors require. It is seamless and smooth, and the ability to connect to the iOS version is vital. Byword is also solid for writing and publishing to blogging platforms, though it is not my first choice, mostly out of along habit of using MarsEdit.
I recommend this to anyone who asks as the text application they should use, my lack of fifth star is that I cannot use it in my own work as an editor, it does not track changes in documents. But that’s a more specialized need, and for anyone who just needs to write and can use a word processor to prepare larger documents, Byword is what you want to use.
My go-to Markdown app
All of my writing any more is in Markdown, and I’ve tried just about every Markdown editor out there. They’ve all got their unique features, but I always wind up coming back to Byword. Its simplicity, its speed, its stunning typography and layout seem to make it easier for me to write quickly and clearly (I know that sounds a little mystical, but I’ve been a professional writer for 50 years, and, trust me, the tools you use have their effect on the quality of the finished product.)
Whether I’m beginning to plan a project, to write a webpage, to compose a blog post, or to embark on a longform document, I start in Byword. At some point, with some projects, I may have to move documents to another program, for technical markup or final word processing touches, but they all start in Byword. And a surprising number finish in Byword as well. If I could give the program 10 stars, I’d do that happily.
- Category: Productivity
- Updated: Oct 22, 2014
- Version: 2.3
- Size: 3.9 MB
- Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Metaclassy, Lda
- © Metaclassy, Lda.
Compatibility: OS X 10.8 or later, 64-bit processor
Top In-App Purchases