By Krueger Systems, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Calca is a powerful symbolic calculator that updates as you type giving you instant answers. It solves equations and simplifies complex expressions. It's also a rich Markdown text editor so that you can explain your ideas alongside your calculations.
Calca is perfect for professionals and students - anyone who works with numbers and equations. Variables and functions can be created with only a few keystrokes and can be manipulated with a rich library of operators and functions.
Calca updates as you type - just like a spreadsheet. You can declare variables, edit their values and watch everything update before your eyes. Since everything is calculated on the device - no network needed - you get answers instantaneously.
All calculations are stored as plain text so you can easily share them with other editors and move them from device to device. Calca has been designed to work with iCloud documents so all your devices can access your calculations - you'll always have the latest files ready for viewing and editing.
Calca comes with a suite of examples to help you get started covering topics from home mortgages to kinetics. All these examples are fully explained within Calca itself.
Are you still using a desktop calculator? Are you using the silly calculator with the giant buttons that came with your OS? Computers are much more capable than doing simple one-line arithmetic - put your machine to work with Calca!
• Variables `x = 42`
• Functions `f(c) = 9/5*c + 32` and even recursive functions
• Units `42 mph in kmph` and currency `¥599 in $`
• Solves equations (`x + 2x + 4x = 42`, what is x?)
• Matrices with inverses so you can solve linear equations
• Sum, prod, map, and reduce operations on lists, matrices, and ranges
• Trigonometry and complex numbers
• Derivatives of functions
• Logic operations and if statements
• Binary math (& and |) and support for binary and hex number (`0xA9` and `0b1010`)
• Keeps track of units (m, s, m/s, m/s^2, etc.) so you can verify your equations as you compute
Please visit http://calca.io to see lots of examples. Thank you for looking!
What's New in Version 1.3
• Plotting! Easily draw and analyze 2D line graphs. Open Help -> Plots to see examples.
• Quick Entry allows you to perform Calca calculations from any app using a global hot key.
• Fixed bouncing text in longer documents.
• Insert `=>` by hitting just ⌘ + Return.
• New min, max, and filter functions.
• Many bug fixes and improvements.
Calca had already replacement most of my uses of a spreadsheet in my day to day life.
But the new features on this version are just amazing. Plotting is now bulit into Calca. It is almost magical to get plots updated as you update your text and watch it live.
The second major feature is the use of Command-Shift-C which brings up a Calca window to do quick ccomputations anywhere. This replaces the need to have an empty Untilted file lying around in Calca for quick computations (which is what I used to do before). Now all scratch computations can be done trivially on this immediate window.
Almost bought Soulver and realized it was missing formulas and had weird behaviours when it comes to variable management.
Tried this app and just loved it.. it’s so much more natural.
One missing feature.. if the author even reads this comment... We need a way to display results in sentences such as: This is the result of my [formula]
-> this will turn into: This is the result of my 34
Missing Key Elements (Including Support)
I want to love the idea. But it’s missing some really basic elements (it doesn’t support conversions to mL?) Worse yet, the developers are TOTALLY unresponsive to questions, which is difficult because the learning curve is really high and the examples don’t make a lot of sense. If you already know your way around a spreadsheet, I don’t see much value for this app.