By Krueger Systems, Inc.
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Calca is a powerful symbolic calculator that updates as you type giving you instant answers. It solves equations and simplifies complex expressions. It's also a rich Markdown text editor so that you can explain your ideas alongside your calculations.
Calca is perfect for professionals and students - anyone who works with numbers and equations. Variables and functions can be created with only a few keystrokes and can be manipulated with a rich library of operators and functions.
Calca updates as you type - just like a spreadsheet. You can declare variables, edit their values and watch everything update before your eyes. Since everything is calculated on the device - no network needed - you get answers instantaneously.
All calculations are stored as plain text so you can easily share them with other editors and move them from device to device. Calca has been designed to work with iCloud documents so all your devices can access your calculations - you'll always have the latest files ready for viewing and editing.
Calca comes with a suite of examples to help you get started covering topics from home mortgages to kinetics. All these examples are fully explained within Calca itself.
Are you still using a desktop calculator? Are you using the silly calculator with the giant buttons that came with your OS? Computers are much more capable than doing simple one-line arithmetic - put your machine to work with Calca!
• Variables `x = 42`
• Functions `f(c) = 9/5*c + 32` and even recursive functions
• Units `42 mph in kmph` and currency `¥599 in $`
• Solves equations (`x + 2x + 4x = 42`, what is x?)
• Matrices with inverses so you can solve linear equations
• Sum, prod, map, and reduce operations on lists, matrices, and ranges
• Trigonometry and complex numbers
• Derivatives of functions
• Logic operations and if statements
• Binary math (& and |) and support for binary and hex number (`0xA9` and `0b1010`)
• Keeps track of units (m, s, m/s, m/s^2, etc.) so you can verify your equations as you compute
Please visit http://calca.io to see lots of examples. Thank you for looking!
What's New in Version 1.3
• Plotting! Easily draw and analyze 2D line graphs. Open Help -> Plots to see examples.
• Quick Entry allows you to perform Calca calculations from any app using a global hot key.
• Fixed bouncing text in longer documents.
• Insert `=>` by hitting just ⌘ + Return.
• New min, max, and filter functions.
• Many bug fixes and improvements.
Calca had already replacement most of my uses of a spreadsheet in my day to day life.
But the new features on this version are just amazing. Plotting is now bulit into Calca. It is almost magical to get plots updated as you update your text and watch it live.
The second major feature is the use of Command-Shift-C which brings up a Calca window to do quick ccomputations anywhere. This replaces the need to have an empty Untilted file lying around in Calca for quick computations (which is what I used to do before). Now all scratch computations can be done trivially on this immediate window.
I don’t always use spreadsheets...
I don’t always use spreadsheets, but when I do… I don’t. With Calca.
The new version offers some great new features to what was already a super useful app. Now, whenever I start typing in formulas in a spreadhseet app, I smack myself, and fire up Calca!
This app is incredible.
I'm very excited about the new plotting. I just hope that more features are added to it soon.