A colorful calculator with 3D buttons, LOTS of features, and fully customizable.
・Dual-line display - shows the input and result at the same time
・History tape - saves every calculation, time and date stamped
・Memory buttons - shows its value on the display
・Percentage and backspace button
・6 layouts (3 portrait, 3 landscape)
・10 color themes
・Multi-line input for really long equations
・Automatic scientific formatting
・Label any calculation in the history tape
・E-mail a calculation or the entire history tape
・iOS 9 Split View
・Today Widget (In App Purchase)
・Multiple History Tapes (In App Purchase)
・Swipe down to see the history tape
・Swipe left or right on the keypad to switch between basic and scientific keys
・Swipe left on the display to backspace
・Swipe right on the display to clear
・Tap & hold on the result to copy
・Tap & hold on the input to move the cursor, copy, paste
・Light Tape Background
・Show Layout Button
・Show Memory Buttons
・Backspace Button (Solid, Arrow)
・Replace ÷ Button With /
・Replace E Button With Hidden, EE, 00, or 000
・Show Thousands Separators
・Minimum Decimal Digits
・Maximum Decimal Digits
URL Scheme: calculatorhdpro://
- Added a new In App Purchase (Multiple History Tapes - organize your calculations into separate Tapes, and organize the Tapes into Folders.
- Inputting two consecutive operators (+, -, ÷, ×) will now automatically replace the previous operator with the new one, instead of typing them both.
- Tape actions (History Tapes, Clear, Send, Print) are now consolidated into a single button.
- Added a new option for the backspace button (Solid or Arrow).
- Voiceover improvements.
- Added a new theme (Rose Gold).
Ratings and Reviews
(Still a) Handy utility
Update to my 2015 review:
Still giving it 5 stars because there are so many good features and the annoyances are relatively minor. I keep this app on my phone's home screen so I can get to it easily.
Niggles: I find the real-time calculations distracting and haven't seen a way to turn that off; I prefer to wait until I'm done to see final results. When compared to (physical) calculators I've used over the years (I'm old enough to remember when a 4-function handheld was a big deal), I stumble over the square-root and some other operation keys. Old-school algebraic calculators had you enter the argument first, then press the operation key but this app requires you to press (e.g.) square root first. Habits of 40+ years are tough to break, and IMO this algebraic implementation is a little too strict, esp. when working on-the-fly – with little or nothing written out beforehand. An option (or separate mode) to alter this behavior would be great. Really minor: Old-school calculators labeled the E key as EE (Enter Exponent), and I often fail to recognize the key when I need it; an E/EE label option would be nice.
From my previous review:
Really like the parentheses in the basic mode – a small detail but very useful. Also like that it can support the scientific mode with the portrait display – saves me from having to unlock rotation to go to landscape, which I really hate about the built-in calculator app.
(Remainder of previous review deleted.)
Tried many calculators (free & paid). HD Pro surpasses the others by far! The most important thing is, it's incredibly User-friendly. My list of Likes keeps growing yet, my Wish list only has tweaks to 'customize' the Tape.
1. Ergonomic - Easy to access & read. The keys are large enough for clumsy fingers. The screen displays numbers clearly.
2. Can use in Portrait or Landscape modes.
3. History: Retains Tape w/ALL previous calculations. Typically, apps limit history to a certain size.
4. Can use data from tape (the result or as actual input) in current calculations .
Wish List/Customize Tape:
1. Add 'Label/Notation' for each item. This would help user ID calculations among many similar ones or highlight important ones.
2. Editing: Let user Add/Change labels on historical calculations.
3. Deleting: Allow selection of individual Tape items for Deletion (as alternative to 'deleting all').
Currently, one must retain the entire tape if historical results are valuable enough to hang on to. Without the relevant historical data, I'd be recalculating same data a lot & wasting time!
Why is it so hard?
Why was it so difficult to find a good calculator? I went through about 10 of them. It seems inconceivable that Apple didn’t have a calculator app for the iPad. Doesn’t it make sense that you would use split screen in order to load up financial apps and then want a calculator? And not a flashy thing, but a workhorse that can be used without distraction? This is perfect. No ads, no recurring subscription, no distractions, but a tape function, a usable layout, and the ability to use with other apps. Nice job dev. I wasn’t looking for my phone, but I gave it an honored spot on my phone home screen as well.
- Cider Software LLC
- 67.7 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Dutch, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012-2018 Cider Software LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Widget $1.99
- Multiple History Tapes $1.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.