Calculus FTW - Deep Insight into Solving Calculus Problems
By MathFTW LLC
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Does calculus have you dazed and confused? Calculus FTW
has hundreds of detailed step-by-step solutions to example problems from first year calculus!
Written by a college professor, Calculus FTW is an app that helps students learn calculus from a problem based approach.
Calculus FTW is not a mere reference for equations. Calculus FTW actually helps you learn and understand calculus by providing deep insight into solving many types of first year calculus problems.
Commercial at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IInmPPzzU4
● Applications of Differentiation
Every problem has:
● Hint - to help you if you are having difficulty solving a problem
● Solution - with lots of detail so that you can actually understand it.
○ Some solution manuals have so little explanation that a student can’t understand how to get from one step to the next.
○ Other solution manuals have so many steps and exposition that the solution becomes difficult to understand.
○ Calculus FTW is unique in that we provide the basic steps to the solution, but if you need additional steps or more of an explanation on how to get from one step to the next the information is provided with the tap of a finger.
● Tips and Tricks - to give you some general advice on how to solve other similar problems.
● Commentary - which includes a difficulty level out of 10 for every problem as well as an answer to every student's question “How is the problem useful or interesting?”
○ Sometimes, when a student is reading the solution of a problem they don’t remember or understand some of the mathematical terms. In Calculus FTW you can tap the term you don’t understand and the concept is explained to you in a straight forward, unintimidating style.
● Concept lessons to provide both background and insight into solving problems
● Animations you can interact with that help you understand concepts when word and symbols confuse an otherwise simple idea
● Detailed solutions to Optimization and Related Rates word problems with animations to help students understand what the question is asking.
● Step by step detail to help you put together a bunch of information to sketch a curve
● An extensive collection of precalculus concepts too (since often times students have difficulty in calculus because their precalculus is weak).
● Search feature to help students find the problems or concepts they are looking for.
What's New in Version 1.8.1
- Fixed issue where some users could not access the derivatives and integration chapters.
- Fixed some layout issues.
Best Calculus Resource
I had to switch classes three weeks into the current semester and have been playing "catch up" ever since. I've tried books, apps, websites,MOOCs—some helped; others, not so much. Then I found this app. It's exactly what I needed: all of the material in a first-year Calculus course is covered, and it's explained well in simple, straightforward, everyday English. There are examples and illustrations; even interactive animations. It even has practice problems designed to be representative of exam questions. There's nothing to download, and nothing else to buy (as far as I know). It's like having a personal Calculus tutor who fits in my pocket and costs only $3. If you find a better Calculus app, I'll eat my hat (I don't wear hats, but you should still buy this app).
This app is a fantastic distillation of the essential concepts of calculus, including a brilliant design that links to other supporting concepts explained within the program. Buttons to expand explanations when needed keep from overwhelming the student and allow deeper investigation when desired. Supporting problems explore the various dimensions of each concept, insuring that the learner can see the skill used in a variety of core examples.
True, it does not cover every last concept. But this is, in fact, a good thing. By focusing on fundamental calculation techniques, as well as the reasoning behind them and why they matter, learners can focus on essentials. I have been using this app as an aid through both calc I and calc II. So pleased I found this app!!
Great for learning or review!
Surprisingly readable and sufficiently technical. This app is useful to learn calc, as well as practice to freshen up. The app takes advantage of the digital format, though it could be more ambitious in its approach to guiding students through the problems. Overall well worth the money.
It should be said, however, that the content could be expanded! The platform is great, and I would pay for more content coverage (more advanced techniques, vector analysis, ODE, linear algebra), but I'm happy with what's here