Warning: even you can draw with your fingers, this app offers the best experience with the Apple Pencil.
Most of penmen use only a pointed pen to create all their artworks. This seems incredible to realize digitally on a mobile device. Except if you have in hands the appropriate tool and an excellent app.
Calligraphy Penmanship is bringing the best experience ever to calligraphers and letters lovers to create digital artworks on a famous mobile device.
Just use it like a pointed ink pen. A tiny variation of your hand pressure will create elegant and majestic shades.
We have added a bonus to your freehand drawing: the ability to adjust to your hand the pressure and smoothness of the pen. The fineness of the strokes is really surprising.
We have found some advantages of the digital Penmanship:
- You don't need to reload your pen with ink.
- You don't need to clean your pen nibs when changing the colors.
- The undo function let you create a great number of variation of a single stroke. Free your imagination without pain.
- Flourished hands to learn and practice Penmanship.
- Learning: you can evaluate your progress with stroke by stroke exercises. Try your best to trace the models and hit the high scores. This is the best way to understand the anatomy of each letter. and each decorative curve.
- Training: with each letter, a full training page provides models to trace, guide lines and grids.
- Learn to decorate beautifully your lettering works. You can find simple patterns to trace, to change or to improve.
- Want to create your own lettering words and quotes ? Try out the text typing keyboard. How it works: type your text, validate, then trace them with embellishments and ornaments.
- A set of plain color for your pen. But also two specific effects: gradient and alternated colors. This is on of our best deal for unique lettering creations.
- A 3 day free trial is activated when you open the app for the first time. Enough time to have the pleasure to perform your lettering.
What's your next project ? Why not sending a quote to a friend, entirely created with your lettering ?
- We've fixed the issue in contact email.
- Other minor bugs were fixed
Ratings and Reviews
Time trial time period wasn’t clear.
I had downloaded the app a week ago, and I must have opened it to check it out, and for what ever reason, couldn’t start using that moment. Fast forward a week, I sit down to use the app, I open it up, and every single box I touch tells me I have to pay $4 to use it. My first thought was that the “free” version was just a way to get me to download it, and I’d have to pay money to use it, while left a bad taste in my mouth.
Then I started reading reviews, and say there was a 72 hour trial. Knowing that didn’t make me feel any better because I didn’t see anywhere that said the moment I open the app for the first time, the 72 hour countdown clock begins on the free trial. So when I opened the app a week later, my trial was over.
I’m certainly not paying $4 for an app that I can’t try first. My advice to anyone wanting to try it is to make sure you don’t open the app until your ready to use it enough times with in the timed trial to know if you want to purchase it.
For me, I’m sure there’s small print somewhere in the App Store description that says there’s a 72 hour trial period, and possibly somewhere that says the trial start the second you open the app for the first time, but it wasn’t apparent to me, and def wasn’t mentioned when I opened the app, and not knowing the countdown began, I missed the 72 hour window, so I’m deleting the app.
I can't speak to the free version as I never used it, but the paid version is beautifully done.
The app is a joy to use with the Apple Pencil. It is a great tool for relaxing and doing something constructive simultaneously.
My one suggestion is to have the option to lower the font size below 200pt, which seems to be the lowest you can go. I like to practice with an actual calligraphy pen by turning up the brightness, placing paper on the screen and tracing the words, sentences and letters generated in the app. The font is oversized when transferring to paper. However, the large fonts in the app are perfect for working on nuance and detail.
Not very functional; just a trial version
App is not responsive to pressure from the Apple Pencil which is not very useful for learning calligraphy, where pen pressure determines thickness of line. After a short period of time, the app won’t let you proceed without paying $4. Granted, in some sense this is good and I wish more apps let you have a trial period before purchase, but given the lack of stylus compatibility I won’t be purchasing this app.
Edit; response to developer: I’m definitely using the Calligraphy Penmanship app, not the others you mentioned. Brand new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil, other writing apps work just fine, tried every writing option in your app, your trial app has a bug/isn’t compatible
It seems that you are talking about our other apps (Calligraphy Art and Calligraphy Handbook) which are not managing the Apple Pencil pressure. Calligraphy Penmanship is an app specifically developed for the best usage of the Apple Pencil. The core feature of Penmanship style is writing and drawing with the pressure of the pen nib, creating lights and shades. This app also offers 72 hours trial time of the full paid version, which is really correct.
- Etienne Nguyen Tan Hon
- 77.7 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPad.
- English, French, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Topdune Studio 2016
- In-App Purchases
- Penmanship unlock all features $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.