Camera Heart Rate Variability is the first and only app that lets you record, plot and export time and frequency domain Heart Rate Variability Features - without requiring any heart rate monitor.
Camera HRV uses a technique called photoplethysmography (PPG for short), which consists in detecting changes in blood volume during a cardiac cycle, by illuminating the skin and measuring changes in light absorption. PPG has become quite a popular non-invasive method for extracting physiological measurements such as heart rate and oxygen saturation. However, most applications today focus simply on heart rate or respiration rate.
Camera HRV can assess cardiac autonomic regulation through quantification of sinus rhythm variability. Since HRV aims at quantifying autonomic regulations, it can be used as marker of sympathetic or parasympathetic predominance, and therefore become relevant in many applications. In athletes for example heavy training is responsible for shifting the cardiac autonomic balance toward a predominance of the sympathetic over the parasympathetic drive, and HRV analysis attempts to quantify this shift.
Other applications span from stress monitoring, assessment of pathological conditions and even emotional regulation during financial decision-making.
- extracts, plots, stores and exports heart rate, rr-intervals, time and frequency domain heart rate variability features (AVNN, SDNN, rMSSD, pNN50, LF, HF, LF/HF)
- configurable time window for feature extraction (30 seconds to 5 minutes)
- automatic RR-interval correction
- event annotation
- comparison between up to 3 recordings lets you get a better understanding of autonomic regulation and sympathetic/parasympathetic activity under different contexts in a glance
- data export/storage on iTunes and Dropbox (csv format, exports heart rates, rr intervals, events and computed features). Data export needs to be performed from the history -> recording view, by clicking on the export button (bottom left).
- integration with the Health app (writes Heart Rate and Heart Rate Variability)
Find out more at this link: http://www.marcoaltini.com/2/post/2014/01/heart-rate-variability-using-the-phones-camera.html
The app is optimized for iphones 5 and 6 (all versions). It should also work on iphones 4S (not 4) with iOS 8.0 or later.
Ratings and Reviews
It works just fine
I was skeptical to buy after reading the previous reviewers rating. But it actually works quite well. Yes, it takes a little practice and actually requires reading the instructions. But compared to a $150 chest strap monitor, this app is genius. I actually went ahead and then bought the whole package of apps by the developer because I wanted to support a great app!
Doesn’t work, never gets good data
I’ve had this app for a couple of years. It never worked from the day I got it, even after multiple updates. I’ve tried it numerous times, and the app hasnever been able to generate an HRV number due to “poor signal quality. “
This is unfortunate, as the companies other app, HRV4Training, is excellent and highly recommended. Use that up with a heart rate monitor and you’re golden. Ignore this app, it’s not worth your time.
Heart rate needs work
I couldn’t get an accurate heart rate reading...not even close. Kind of a waste of money. I would recommend offering the app for free while you make your algorithms more accurate.
- A.S.M.A. B.V.
- 6.2 MB
- Health & Fitness
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone X, iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular, 12.9-inch iPad Pro, 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, 9.7-inch iPad Pro, 9.7-inch iPad Pro Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad (5th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (5th generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2nd generation), 12.9-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular (2nd generation), 10.5-inch iPad Pro, 10.5-inch iPad Pro Wi‑Fi + Cellular, iPad (6th generation), iPad Wi-Fi + Cellular (6th generation), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (11-inch), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), iPad Pro (12.9-inch) (3rd generation), and iPod touch (6th generation).
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Marco Altini
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.