By Canoo Engineering AG
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
CanooNet: The most comprehensive mobile reference for German - now works in offline mode!
The app is compatible with iOS 5, iOS 6, and iOS 7.
!! IMPORTANT NOTE !! : Free to try: After downloading the app (approx. 600 MB), you are granted 20 free searches to evaluate the app before you are asked to purchase the full functionality (8.99 EUR, or the equivalent in your currency).
In case you decide not to purchase, you may still continue to use the app for browsing the substantial and informative grammar and spelling reference (via the button "Dr. Bopp").
- German dictionary, grammar reference, and spelling aid combined in a single app
- Offline Mode: CanooNet works without network access
- Low-priced compared to other high-quality dictionary and grammar apps
- Fast and powerful search engine
- Convenient search and browse history
- Direct access to LEO translations and Wikipedia articles [*]
- Elegant design and easy to use
The ideal mobile reference and spelling aid for the German language.
It meets the needs of language professionals, language students or anyone else using the German language.
- More than 250,000 words
- ALL corresponding inflected forms (e.g., past tense, plural, genitive forms) - in total more than 3 million word forms!
- More than 25,000 example phrases with explanations on specific German spelling issues
- Thesaurus: Synonyms, hypernyms, and hyponyms for about 100,000 words
- Links to relevant grammar and spelling rules for each word
- More than 550 pages
- Sentence grammar: Sentence types and structures, sentence constituents, phrases, word order rules, etc.
- Word grammar: Word classes and their specific properties
- Rules on word formation
- Easily understood explanations
- Many internal links
SPELLING REFERENCE (in German only)
- Approx. 150 pages
- Official spelling rules
- Practical guide: Spelling rules with many examples
- Spelling reform: Overview on changes and extensive lists of affected words
- Many internal links
- Direct access to German Wikipedia articles
- CanooNet displays Wikipedia pages in a way that fits your iPhone/iPod screen.
- Pages loaded incrementally so results are displayed quickly on slow internet connections.
- A cooperation with LEO gives you access to translations from German into English, French, Spanish, Italian, and Chinese.
- LEO pages displayed in a way that fit your iPhone/iPod screen.
FAST AND POWERFUL SEARCH ENGINE
- Simultaneously search all components (dictionary, grammar reference, spelling reference).
- Any inflected word form will lead you to the headword.
- Search as you type
- State-of-the-art spelling correction: If you do not know the correct spelling of a word beforehand, CanooNet will find it anyway.
- Word preview: Matching words are presented with brief grammatical information to help you pick the right match.
SEARCH AND BROWSE HISTORY
- Allows you to revisit previous word entries, grammar/spelling rules and LEO/Wikipedia searches.
- Consistent color icons distinguish the type of entry.
- Sort the history chronologically or alphabetically.
- History persists across CanooNet sessions.
For more information on this app please visit: canoo.net/me
[*] While the CanooNet content may be used in offline mode, the external online resources (LEO and Wikipedia) do require network access.
What's New in Version 3.3
* compatible with iOS 7
* now also compatible again with iOS 5
* fixed layout issues on iPhone 5
* minor bugfixes
If they were to format it for iPad ...
... then I would most certainly buy the unlocked app. I use the web site on a regular basis, and it is a fabulous resource for learners and second-language speakers. But I don't have an iPad with a mobile data plan. Using apps optimized for the iPhone is tolerable but wearying.
The German app that I use the most and that helps me the most
Very enlightening and educational
I use the German Wikipedia and dictionary a lot.