Time is a teacher’s most valuable resource. Save time and use Canvas more efficiently from your mobile device with Canvas Teacher.
Canvas Teacher allows teachers to facilitate their courses on the go, both inside and outside the classroom. This app provides quick access to three of the most frequent course facilitation tasks for teachers:
• GRADING: Browse submissions and provide feedback to your students with a new and improved mobile SpeedGrader embedded in this app.
• COMMUNICATING: Send announcements and messages (including "Message Students Who..."), and participate in course discussions from the palm of your hand.
• UPDATING: Need to change a due date? Or publish an assignment? Or fix a misspelling? Canvas Teacher allows you to update your course content.
Canvas Teacher is the perfect mobile Canvas companion for course facilitation!
- Added support for annotating images in SpeedGrader
- Added eraser support to SpeedGrader
- Added search to course and user files
- Fixed a problem with loading the Attendance LTI tool
- Fixed showing subfolders named with special characters
- Accessibility improvements
Ratings and Reviews
Solid, but lacks basic features.
Overall, this is a solid app. However, it seems the developers did not take into account that we use this app to check-in on our courses while we’re on the go. We do not use it to facilitate our courses. Accessing your course through a mobile browser may be a better option depending upon what you’re trying to do.
- There is no ability to mark a message or discussion post as unread in the app. Once you open or view it, it cannot be marked as unread. If I don’t plan on responding at that very moment, I have to make a separate reminder to check it when I return to the desktop. I’ve basically stopped accessing messages and discussions through the app for this very reason. (In most cases, I’m not going to respond as soon as a student messages me, but I do want to read their message. Marking it as unread allows me to see the notification on the desktop where I prefer to respond.)
- The actual text from sent and received messages cannot be copied. Not being able to copy a portion of a previous message I have sent is frustrating. I frequently send the same explanations for assignments, etc. Having the ability to copy a portion of a message for another email - when I’m on the go - seems like an oversight on the developers’ behalf.
- To be continued...
Added some great features but lost others
I have been waiting for the ability to annotate student papers with my Apple Pencil for a long time. I'm so excited about that and it seems to work pretty well. I have lost, though, the ability to leave voice or media comments from my iPad. That is a feature I use with every paper I assign, so I really hope that comes back soon. I also had a hard time getting a grade to save. This particular assignment I was just marking rough drafts as complete or incomplete. I hit the + to add a grade, selected "complete" from the menu, but then had to push the + again to save it. It took me a while to figure out why nothing was saving. It seemed a little awkward. I like the direction this app is going, but I had to go back and reinstall the old SpeedGrader app in order to accomplish what I needed to get done. EDIT AFTER SOME MORE USE: I also realized after grading a whole batch of essays that some of my handwritten annotations are missing! There are times when only a few words of a whole sentence are there when I go back in or when students look on their end. NO!! Waste of time!!
I wish there was more control over notifications
I really love this app except that as the person in charge of teaching in my school/college I’m a default member on many sites. Some sites we can’t auto-subscribe students to because they aren’t for a specific class (eg academic advising). Because of my role on those sites I get alerts for hundreds of students accepting the invitation! I’ve had to turn off notifications all together because there were so many alerts but now I can’t see the things I really need to see, like if a student posts a question in the discussion forum. Please create a method for teachers to select the different things they want to be notified about (or not). I guess kind of like how that one social media app lets us choose if we want to have an email notification if we have a new friend request, are tagged in a photo, etc. Thanks.
- Instructure, Inc.
- 126.4 MB
- Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Haitian, Japanese, Maori, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Welsh
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Instructure
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.