Learn your favorite songs without tabs or sheet music.
Whether you play for the world or yourself, all musicians need a good ear for harmony, melody, and rhythm. Using the songs in your music collection, Capo guesses the beats, chords, and key of songs to help you break them down to their individual parts. Capo’s unique technology helps you to learn your favorites quickly as you improve your ear along the way.
Capo is simple and yet so, so good, even the professionals use it:
“Capo is AMAZING!!! Very clutch. Especially when parts are kinda tough in the mix that I can’t make out easily. With other apps you lose quality, this still sounds correct.”
- Omar Edwards: Keyboardist/Music Director for Jay-Z, Rihanna, Kanye West, Eminem, and more
“When I sat down and started using Capo for the first time, I was amazed at how big a punch this little app packs! It's intuitive, convenient, and high-quality.”
- Rebecca Lovell: Lead Vocals, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Piano for Larkin Poe
(Read more at capoapp.com/testimonials)
*** HEAR THE SONG ***
Slow everything down, scrub to hear specific notes, and easily create regions that loop as you learn to play the tricky parts. Use Capo’s tools to isolate specific instruments and even vocals to learn any part of a song. With a couple simple switches, you can focus on the piano or eliminate everything to practice the guitar solo.
*** BREAK IT DOWN ***
Capo automatically guesses the beats, chords, and key of songs to get you started. Change, add, or remove the detected chords easily with a few taps as you identify alternate chords and voicings.
*** PAUSE THE SESSION ***
Capo saves each song as a project, including the loop regions you set, chord changes, and even the playback position. Learn songs at your own pace and revisit them on any device thanks to iCloud sync for your projects.
*** SO MUCH MORE ***
* Transpose songs to different keys
* Rename regions to keep organized
* Use the Tabbing song view to quickly capture solos and melody
* Beat detection estimates the tempo and helps snap regions
* Edit chords one at a time or globally
* Display chord diagrams for Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Ukulele, Bass, and now Piano
* Rock on southpaws! Capo has a left-handed chord box option
* Five different metronome sounds
**NOTE**: Capo works with music you own, but cannot access streaming tracks from Apple Music, Spotify, etc.
*** GO PRO ***
The free trial allows 60 seconds of playback per session before noise is inserted into the song, plus access to all features, including the chords, slowing, our isolation engine, and more.
For $39.99 per year, Capo Pro grants access to:
* Unlimited play time
* Auto-detected chords for entire songs
* All current features
* All upcoming Pro features in development
*** GO PLATINUM [NEW!] ***
For $49.99 per year, Capo Platinum gives you everything in Capo Pro *plus* the ability to unlock all the features in Capo touch for iOS.
All prices shown in this description are in USD. Exact prices may vary by region based on current exchange rates. Upon purchasing, payment will be charged to your iTunes Account for a full year of access to the features in your chosen subscription. Subscriptions automatically renew within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, when your iTunes Account will be charged again for the full amount. You can choose to disable auto-renewal by visiting your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
Capo has a fresh, new look on the Mac! We’ve integrated the Heads-Up Display and Control Strip that first appeared in Capo touch, and now offer an all-new dark appearance that’s exclusive to macOS Mojave.
We also made numerous enhancements to existing features based on your feedback and bug reports. Keep those emails coming—we love hearing from our customers!
- Support for Dark Mode in macOS Mojave.
- The Heads-Up Display now occupies the bottom of the main window, and allows for a wider view of your song’s content.
- The new Control Strip keeps Capo’s various controls organized, and discoverable.
- In addition to supporting Dark Mode, we took care to respect your preferred system-wide accent color wherever it seemed appropriate to do so.
- You can make Capo’s window shorter now that we moved the Heads-Up Display. This is great for users that like to use Capo alongside other apps.
- We split the Pitch slider into separate Transpose and Pitch sliders to match Capo touch for iOS. Now when you fine-tune old recordings using the Pitch slider, you no longer need to re-adjust pitch when transposing the song. (Existing Projects with combined pitch slider settings will automatically get split across the two sliders.)
- Capo now lets you change the Metronome volume separately from the Song and Note volumes using the new Mixer controls found in the PLAYBACK control strip.
- We enlarged the Isolation controls (now accessible from the PLAYBACK control strip) to make the pan energy display easier to see, and to allow finer adjustments in sliders.
- The Metronome and Count-In settings (now in the PLAYBACK control strip) no longer allow you to set a Count-In without the Metronome click. Now when Count-In is enabled, Capo will always play the click and the 1-, 2-, or 4-bar count-in only applies when a looping region is active. This is now consistent with the behavior in Capo touch.
- We moved the Song Views popup to the Heads-Up Display—at the bottom-right of the window—so that it remains visible in Full-Screen mode, and can display view-related controls to its left.
- Region titles now appear much larger, making them easier to read.
- We switched from an included help file to using online documentation, which is easier for us to keep up-to-date, and easier for you to read. Win-win!
- The resizing handles on regions have also grown larger to make it more obvious that regions can be resized, and also to make it clear when the region is active.
- You can now de-select a Region (and disable looping) by simply clicking on it.
- Movement between Regions—whether initiated by their keyboard shortcuts or control strip buttons—behaves in a way that makes sense depending on the current selection and playback state.
- When editing chords, shapes are now drawn the same as in the timeline.
- Keyboard shortcuts listed in the Control menu no longer show ‘fn’ entries beside certain commands.
- The command names shown in the Edit Keyboard/MIDI Commands window now match the titles for the same commands in the main menu.
- Capo no longer crashes when dragging chords on macOS Mojave.
- Regions no longer flash while resizing during playback.
- In the Export Notes and Chords… save panel, Capo now uses the song title rather than “Untitled” as its default filename.
- When seeking during playback, the playhead no longer appears before the chosen playhead position.
- When editing chords, certain partial search strings no longer return empty results.
Ratings and Reviews
Slows down songs - that's it
What it does well:
- slows down songs while adjusting tempo
- allows you to change key so you don't have to retune your guitar, and also adjusts for capo
Those are cool features, and it does it really well. So if that's what you need in an app, this one delivers. That said, YouTube can also slow down songs, and it's free, and you can choose any song whereas with this app you have to own it on iTunes.
What this app does not do, despite its claims, is filter our vocals or isolate instruments so you can learn the guitar parts. Nope. Follwed thier instructions and tried it with a bunch of songs - never had any luck.
So you have to go find the tabs and come back to this app to play along with the song, slowed down, or figure it out with your ear.
Pretty disappointed that it does not deliver on all its promised features.
There are other tools on the market that do what Capo does, but I’ve been impressed how well Capo does every part of it, both on Mac on and on mobile. Love using this for working with my students as a music teacher.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for this review. We're thrilled to hear that it's helpful to you as a music teacher!
Great! Just get it!
Capo is the Best, Fastest, Easiest way to learn any band’s song (even your own). Finds and shows the Guitar, Bass ,Mandolin, Uuke - even piano chords - right when and where they happen. (Also can be used to deal with band member disputes)
Developer Response ,
Glad to hear Capo is helpful in mediating band disputes! lol...thanks for taking the time to write this review. We *really* appreciate it.
- SuperMegaUltraGroovy, Inc.
- 26.4 MB
- macOS 10.12 or later, 64-bit processor
- English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 SuperMegaUltraGroovy, Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.