Learn your favorite songs without tabs or sheet music.
Whether you play for the world or yourself, all musicians need a good ear for harmony, melody, and rhythm. Using the songs in your music collection, Capo guesses the beats, chords, and key of songs to help you break them down to their individual parts. Capo’s unique technology helps you to learn your favorites quickly as you improve your ear along the way.
Capo is simple and yet so, so good, even the professionals use it:
“Capo is AMAZING!!! Very clutch. Especially when parts are kinda tough in the mix that I can’t make out easily. With other apps you lose quality, this still sounds correct.”
- Omar Edwards: Keyboardist/Music Director for Jay-Z, Rihanna, Kanye West, Eminem, and more
“When I sat down and started using Capo for the first time, I was amazed at how big a punch this little app packs! It's intuitive, convenient, and high-quality.”
- Rebecca Lovell: Lead Vocals, Electric Guitar, Acoustic Guitar, Mandolin, Piano for Larkin Poe
(Read more at capoapp.com/testimonials)
*** HEAR THE SONG ***
Slow everything down, scrub to hear specific notes, and easily create regions that loop as you learn to play the tricky parts. Use Capo’s tools to isolate specific instruments and even vocals to learn any part of a song. With a couple simple switches, you can focus on the piano or eliminate everything to practice the guitar solo.
*** BREAK IT DOWN ***
Capo automatically guesses the beats, chords, and key of songs to get you started. Change, add, or remove the detected chords easily with a few taps as you identify alternate chords and voicings.
*** PAUSE THE SESSION ***
Capo saves each song as a project, including the loop regions you set, chord changes, and even the playback position. Learn songs at your own pace and revisit them on any device thanks to iCloud sync for your projects.
*** SO MUCH MORE ***
* Transpose songs to different keys
* Rename regions to keep organized
* Use the Tabbing song view to quickly capture solos and melody
* Beat detection estimates the tempo and helps snap regions
* Edit chords one at a time or globally
* Display chord diagrams for Guitar, Banjo, Mandolin, Ukulele, Bass, and now Piano
* Rock on southpaws! Capo has a left-handed chord box option
* Five different metronome sounds
**NOTE**: Capo works with music you own, but cannot access streaming tracks from Apple Music, Spotify, etc.
*** New Features ***
* 7 New Languages! -- This update adds localizations for French, Italian, German, Spanish, Japanese, Simplified Chinese, and Traditional Chinese. We hope to continue adding support for more languages in the future, so please contact us if you’d like to see your native language added to this list!
* (Simple) Piano Chords -- Capo can now display chords using familiar keyboard diagrams. The notes in a chord are indicated in a way that makes it easy to build your own chord voicings.
* Improved Guitar Chord Display -- Using a bolder font and modified fretboard styling, we made Capo’s chords a little easier to read. We also put in a great deal of work to make the chord display consistent across iOS and macOS versions of Capo.
*** Enhancements ***
* You can now navigate between chords using the left and right arrow keys when a chord is selected.
* Changes to the chord display are now animated
*** Bug Fixes ***
* Empty chord entries no longer appear in the results when editing chords.
* Empty chord boxes no longer appear when detecting and adding new chords.
* We spent some time cleaning up the keyboard event handling to fix a number of issues, such as playback commands interfering with text input, or the playback commands failing to work completely.
* Changes to note entry and audio playback volume are once again persisted to user preferences.
We love hearing from our customers, so please leave a review on the App Store to share your positive experiences with others, or send us a support email if you have any questions for us. We're listening, and appreciate all your bug reports and feedback!
Ratings and Reviews
WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!?!?!?
I’m a retired music educator that now spends his idle time transcribing music. I have struggled to isolate instruments, especially the bass parts. My system would always just produce distortion. Well, then I found a recommendation on Facebook’s NO TREBLE page from a fellow Mac user who swore by CAPO. How could I refuse THAT recommendation?? So I tried it and O.M.G. - I was amazed - BLOWN THE HELL AWAY when I could isolate “so cleanly” the bass line!!!! I don’t honestly know if I’ll ever step outside my house again!!! I’m having a blast “cleaning up” what I previously THOUGHT were spot-on transcriptions. <smh> I cannot believe what I missed and what CAPO has helped me discover.
I’ll be honest, I didn’t buy it for pitch or tempo changes or chord markings or any of the other “marketed” components. I just wanted ISOLATION and, by God, I got it.
I am also happy I not only have it on my iMac (my primary instrument for transcribing), but on my iOS devices. I found that flipping between CAPO and my music processing software was sometimes cumbersome. So having it on my device I can accomplish things a tad faster and with more accuracy listening through my earbuds. (FWIW)
If you are reading this far - stop and go buy the darn product!! It’s freakin’ awesome.
Wow...what a glowing review. We love your enthusiasm! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with Capo 3 and Capo touch with our potential customers. Much appreciated.
Useful. Not perfect, but improving.
The developer keeps improving this app, and I have found it quite useful. If you’re an aspiring musician, it’s worth the very reasonable price for the parts that work well. It cannot always deliver on getting chords right, particularly on more complex songs (although I have not tested this on the most recent version yet). The best thing about Capo is the ability to slow down the tempo while keeping it in the same key, or pitching the song up or down while keeping the same tempo. You can also mute out certain ranges of sound so that you can play along without doubling the part. It does these things very well.
Thank you so much for this insightful review of Capo. You're right — Capo doesn't always get the chords correct. Obviously, our goal is to get as many chords correct as possible. But for the ones it doesn’t, we have made it simple for users to correct the missed detections. All the changes you make to a song’s chords are stored in the Project as you go, so your modifications will remain intact the next time you return to work on a song. We have a blog post written by the developer of the app that talks about Capo's chord intelligence in greater detail if you're interested. You can find it here — http://bit.ly/2eBIpzp —
I play electric guitar in our church band, and I’ve found that Capo 3 is a great learning/practice tool. I get a chord chart from our director, so I don’t pay much attention to the chords that Capo 3 generates, but they’re usually the same, some times with some “extra” ones thrown in ( which is a result of how Capo 3 recognizes chords). I can change the key, if necessary, to the key that we’re playing the song in, loop sections and slow them down to learn certain parts. Is it perfect? Probably not, but it does all that I need, and more. I would recommend Capo 3 to any aspiring musician…like I said earlier, it’s a great practice tool….Rob
Hi Rob! Thank you so much for this review of Capo. We're thrilled to hear that you find Capo 3 great for learning and practicing! Keep on rockin' :)
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.