Caramel is a stereo distortion, crusher and fattener effect designed for Audiobus and Inter-App Audio. Caramel is perfect for adding lo-fi grit and punch to drums, bass, synths, guitar and more.
In addition to Audiobus and Inter-App Audio, Caramel can process external hardware by connecting a professional USB audio interface such as the Apogee Jam or Apogee ONE, and many more compatible USB interfaces. You can also use the built in headset microphone. Guitarists can use our effects live by connecting the output of their audio interface to an amp.
Caramel supports Core MIDI via the Camera Connection kit, USB MIDI interfaces, Virtual MIDI and WiFi connections. The MIDI Learn function lets you easily assign your MIDI controller's knobs and sliders to control Caramel's effect parameters.
Caramel features two distinct modes:
Perform and Tweak.
● Perform mode is focused around four XY touch pads. Touch to control Crunch, Sizzle, Crush and Bite independently for left and right channels.
● Tweak mode features large expressive sliders and additional effect parameters, allowing you to fine tune your sound.
For more info and video demos visit: http://caramelfxapp.com
Check out our entire FX series including Crystalline, Echo Pad, Stereo Designer and Swoopster!
● requires iOS 7.0 or later (Audiobus requires iOS 8.0+)
● iPad Mini/iPad 2 or newer
● Audiobus 2 compatible (Effect, state saving)
● Inter-App audio compatible (effect node)
● Compatible with DAW apps such as Auria, Cubasis, and Garageband
● compatible with USB audio interfaces
● Core MIDI compatible
● Receive MIDI over Bluetooth LE (requires iOS 8)
● Control Left and Right channel Crunch, Crush, Girth, SIzzle independently for interesting stereo effects.
● Girth parameter adds subtle to punishing low end boost to drums and bass.
● Multiple stereo output modes including Normal Stereo, Wide Stereo, and Sum to Mono.
● Wide range of colorful lo-fi distortion tones are possible, from subtle grit and punch to absolute digital wreckage.
● Audiobus 2 compatible with state saving
● Inter-app Audio compatible
● Core MIDI compatible, works with any MIDI controller via MIDI Learn
● Select presets via MIDI program change
Caramel works with just about any professional iOS compatible USB audio interfaces. Here is a list of interfaces that have been tested and verified to be compatible:
● Apogee Jam
● Apogee Mic
● Apogee ONE for iPad/Mac
● Apogee DUET for iPad/Mac
● Apogee QUARTET for iPad/Mac
● iRig HD
● iRig iMic
● Focusrite Scarlett series (*requires USB hub)
● Focusrite iTrack dock
● Alesis io2
● Alesis IO Dock
● Behringer UCA202
● many more
• Audiobus 3 ready
• Added option to save state on quit and recall when app is next launched (this option can be enabled in the settings page)
• minor bugfixes
Ratings and Reviews
Finally...a much needed effect.
I've been waiting for a dedicated, inventive and easy to use distortion / crunch effect and Caramel does this well and more in an easy to use interface that needs little explanation. I already used it on a track and with minimal tweaking I was able to fatten the track and add some edge to give the track more presence and urgency. If you're a musician or sound designer, tools like Caramel are very important, and sometimes you just need something that works. I think Caramel is one of those apps.
Everything tastes better with a little Caramel on it...even broccoli. ;-). Seriously, this is one of those "really worth it" apps. Add a dash of crunch or blow it to smithereens, it's all up to you. As for me..well I just designed a lead guitar patch using Modular that totally sizzles with a little Caramel and I'm going to get back to playing it. Why don't you buy yourself a copy and come join me. It's totally worth every penny and twice as much in Canada.
Crunch time with pleasure
This caramel is crunchy (as much as you want with easy to use controls). This app can help to create some crazy gnarly sounds -- especially good for percussion tracks.
As with all Holderness apps, this is priced low, is easy to use, and is very high quality.
Music made on iOS is better with this series of apps.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.