Castro lets you track lots of podcasts at once without getting overwhelmed. Here’s how it works:
1) New episodes land in the INBOX. Read the descriptions, queue the good ones and archive the rest.
2) The QUEUE is a central playlist for organizing your next few hours of listening. Queued episodes are downloaded automatically.
3) Press Play. Castro plays your queue in order from top to bottom. Reorder or archive queued episodes anytime.
4) In the ARCHIVE you can find the back catalogue of all shows you subscribe to, browse your listening history, and easily access your starred episodes.
This flow lets you expand your listening habits without getting overwhelmed. With Castro, subscribing to a podcast doesn’t mean making a commitment to listen to every episode. You don’t have to choose a few shows and miss the rest.
* Drag and drop support helps you triage and reorder your queue.
* Castro sports an elegant dark mode (requires Castro Plus) and well-thought out sleep timer, offering the best in night time podcast listening.
* Our servers constantly scan for new episodes across every podcast, so your phone doesn’t have to, saving battery life and data usage.
* Queued episodes are automatically downloaded, so you can focus on deciding what you want to hear and let Castro manage the details.
* Beautifully rendered full screen show notes.
* Episode notifications include a short summary of the episode to help you decide if it interests you. You can play, queue or archive the episode directly from the notification without opening the app.
* CarPlay support.
* Watch app to control playback and select another episode from your queue.
* Full play history.
* Star episodes to easily find your favorite episodes later.
Castro Plus is an optional subscription to unlock a range of advanced features. There are quarterly and yearly payment options, and both include a one week trial.
+ Trim Silence — With this option on, the app will analyze audio as it plays to detect silent parts and accelerate those parts. Get through more episodes faster.
+ Enhance Voices improves the listening experience for many podcasts and makes it easier to hear in loud environments. Under the hood, Enhance Voices applies a dynamic compressor and a peak limiter to increase volume just where it’s needed.
* Sideloading allows import of audio files directly, just by dropping them in iCloud Drive.
+ Mono-Mix — Mixes a stereo podcast to mono, which makes it easier to hear podcasts that pan some guests on left/right channels.
+ Chapter Support: Skipping & Pre-selection.
+ Chapter and episode artwork.
+ Episode Limit lets users specify what number of episodes of each podcast to keep.
+ Set a start position for episodes of each podcast.
+ Customize settings per-podcast: Episode Limit, Trim Silence, Enhance Voices, Mono Mix, Skip Intros, Playback Speed.
Castro Plus costs $8.99 per year or $2.99 per quarter. Prices are in US dollars and may vary in countries other than the US.
Castro Plus is charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase. It will renew on the day before the current subscription period ends. You can cancel auto-renewal any time from the Castro settings screen.
You can switch between the two subscription periods after you pick one, but your trial period will end immediately if you do, so it's best to wait till your free week is over before changing.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by the user and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user's Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication, where applicable.
* Adds Siri shortcuts for “Play my Queue”, “Play and Sleep”, and “Star this episode” — see Castro settings to add these. (requires iOS 12)
* Support for new phone and watch sizes.
* Dragging an episode up the queue is no longer awkward.
* Brings back tabbed CarPlay interface.
* Reduces memory usage when loading artwork.
* Improves background fetch memory usage substantially.
* Improves performance and memory usage when getting new episode metadata.
* Fixes an issue where pressing play on an un-downloaded sideload could fail to load chapters / podcast artwork.
* Fixes an issue where dragging an episode to the top of the queue wouldn’t set it as the now playing episode.
Ratings and Reviews
The only issue we have with podcasts today? Keeping track of all of the good stuff. Castro acts as our podcast personal assistant. Once we’d rifled through the app’s vast (and we mean vast) offering, Castro helped us prioritize and organize what we wanted to hear—and clear our in-tray by deleting them once we’d listened.
I love this app
I love everything about this app. The design—I love how compact the episodes are in the queue. So many other podcast apps are bloated design-wise, where you can only see 3 or so episodes at a time. I hate that. I don’t want to be inundated with info. I just wanna see the titles. I love the drag and drop (in particular the ability to move multiple items at once.) The inbox is brilliant. There some podcasts with multiple formats of which I only like one. This allows me to archive the others without having them dumped in my queue and downloaded. But my hands down favorite features are the archive & history. There are some podcasts that I don’t listen to on a regular basis but like to check in on every so often. This allows me to follow them so that I don’t forget about them but to go find an episode when I want to. And of course history. I’m usually on the go when listening and don’t have time to note episodes I really enjoy. With the history I can do back and see what I heard. Sometimes the impact of an episode doesn’t hit for a week or more. With history I can still go find them. Simple but essential. And the dates they were listened to on is saved as well! —just an impressive level of care. Fingers crossed for smart speed/silence skipping, a speed between 2x & 3x and custom playback settings for individual shows — nobody should listen to Song Exploder at 2x.
Thanks for the kind works Chad! As you've probably seen by now, we now have silence skipping and per-podcast settings in Castro 3.
All the best,
Still no trim silences?
UPDATE: Lowering my review to two stars. The fact that there's still not trim silences is kind of unbelievable. It feels at this point like the developers are just folding their arms and pouting and putting their feet down because they're tired of the requests, but I've listened to their podcasts and I know they understand that this is easily the biggest, most requested missing feature. It just baffles me that they would rather dedicate so much development time to other features than just buckle down and add this one that is absolutely standard in today's podcast player market. Not to mention they still don't save playback settings per podcast or support chapter markers. What? It's a wonderful, unique app in a lot of ways, but it's missing crucial features that hold it back. It's kind of heartbreaking.
ORIGINAL: I want to love Castro, but to me, trim silences should be considered a standard feature in a modern podcast app. I've tried to get into Castro so many times now because they add such cool stuff with their big updates and the general hook of treating podcasts like an email inbox, but it's been months and trim silences, a long-requested feature, is still nowhere to be seen. (As well, I want Castro to remember playback speed settings for each podcast.) So yet again, back to boring old Overcast for me.
Sorry that it took us a while, but we now have chapter markers, trim silences and per-podcast settings in Castro 3. I hope you're enjoying the new features!
Annual access to advanced player features
- Supertop Software
- 66.1 MB
- Requires iOS 10.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Frequent/Intense Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Frequent/Intense Profanity or Crude Humor
- © Supertop 2018
- In-App Purchases
- Castro Plus $8.99
- Castro Plus $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.
Get things done within this app using just your voice.