Castro: Podcast Player
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
The New York Times chose Castro as a Best App of 2016!
Castro is the first app that is designed to help you track a broad range of shows and pick out the episodes that appeal to you. To do this, we introduce a concept that is new to podcast apps: episode triage.
Triage allows you to scan new episodes and decide whether you’re interested or not.
- Inbox: Newly published episodes land here. Review the descriptions, queue the best ones and archive the rest.
- Queue: A central playlist to plan your listening in advance. Queued episodes are automatically downloaded, and can be re-ordered or archived any time.
You can set your favourite shows to queue automatically and use the inbox to triage the rest.
This allows you to expand your listening habits without overwhelming your play queue. Subscribing to a podcast doesn't have to be a commitment to listen to every episode. You don’t have to choose a narrow few shows and miss out on the rest.
SHARING AND DISCOVERING NEW PODCASTS
Castro provides the top charts by genre so you can browse popular shows easily. Tap search to easily find shows you know or hear about.
Personal recommendations from friends are another great way to find new shows. Castro users can easily share direct links to specific episodes. Tapping a Castro link will open the episode in the app, where you can queue it right away without subscribing to the entire podcast. If your friends don't have Castro yet, a beautiful web interface lets them play the episode from a browser.
The Castro iMessage App on iOS 10 makes sharing even easier.
- Easily share recently played episodes with your friends and family
- When you receive a recommendation from someone else add it to your queue without leaving the Messages app
Castro maintains a chronological list of your played episodes in History. This makes it easy to find these episodes for sharing later.
If you hear an episode you love, you can star it. Your starred list becomes your personal podcast hall of fame, allowing you to easily share your favourite episodes next time someone asks you for a recommendation.
ALL THESE EXTRA FEATURES
- Castro sports an elegant dark mode and well-thought out sleep timer, offering the best in night time podcast listening.
- Our "Tentacles" backend server constantly scans for new episodes across every podcast, so your phone doesn’t have to, saving battery life and data usage.
- Castro can notify you as soon as episodes are published.
- Download and Storage management: Queued episodes are automatically downloaded, so you can focus on deciding what you want to hear and let Castro manage the details.
- Fine scrubbing: drag the playhead to scan quickly, or drag the waveform for precision scrubbing.
- Beautifully rendered full screen show notes allow you to follow up and explore links of episodes that provide these details.
- Rotation support, and big playback controls on the player for easy use while driving.
What's New in Version 2.4
CASTRO 2.4 INTRODUCES ENHANCED AUDIO
Enhanced Audio improves the listening experience for many podcasts and makes it easier to listen in loud environments. Under the hood, Enhanced Audio applies a dynamic compressor and a peak limiter to increase volume just where it’s needed.
Enhanced Audio helps when playing a show where voices are at different levels and makes it much easier to listen to podcasts in a car, on public transit, or in a busy noisy place.
You can toggle Enhanced Audio on and off from the player controls screen by tapping the up arrow on the player controls bar.
We’ve also been working on some other changes and bug fixes:
* [CHANGED] You can now toggle Continuous Play easily from the player controls screen without needing to go to settings.
* [CHANGED] The CarPlay app no longer uses tabs. This fixes a 'black screen' issue that has affected some CarPlay users.
* [FIXED] Playback now resumes properly after using Siri.
* [FIXED] Scrubber bar colors no longer get out of sync.
* [FIXED] A crash that happened when a download completed after queuing an episode, then moving it to the top queue position.
* [FIXED] An issue where "Queue Next, Queue Last, Archive" podcast preference would be reset when a feed redirected.
* [FIXED] An issue where action buttons would be scrolled off screen after queueing or archiving from the bottom of Inbox.
We've added support for iOS's new App Store rating prompt. If you enjoy using Castro please rate this version in the App Store, it really helps.
Queuing feature is an amazing idea, but missing key features.
My favorite podcast app. This app is a dream when it comes to its triage process. So easy to keep the podcasts you want to listen to and ditch the ones that you don't. Needs chapter support and smart speed though. New update with enhanced audio is a great step forward in matching other apps in features though.
Great for those who subscribe to many podcasts, especially if you only want to listen to certain episodes. Great interface. Just wish it had something like Overcast's Smart Speed
Switching from Overcast
This app is pricey. Let's just get that out there in the open. I admit that I avoided this for awhile cause of cost but coming from Overcast I have to say I was impressed. While both apps play podcasts their approach to managing them is different. For me, the inbox, queue, archive system is much easier to manage and enjoy than the per podcast lists. Highly recommended.