By Secret Geometry
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
- Fast and Accurate Emulation
- Dynamic Scrollback Buffer
- 256 Colors
- 12 Retro Fonts
Great Mac Integration:
- Drag and Drop Files
- Customizable Keyboard
- Mouse Copy/Paste
- Command-Click to Open URLs
- Save/Recall Favorite Commands
- Choose from a large collection of themes spanning every era.
- Tweak to your heart's content with a dozen real-time sliders.
- Effects include screen curvature, burn-in, scan-lines, and transparency.
- Glowing halos simulate the human eye's reaction to intense brightness.
- Slow down the bitrate like an old modem.
- The quirks of old electronics are charming to the modern eye.
- Watch the strange dance of horizontal desyncs and splitting colors.
- Turn up the static, jitter, and flicker to add an analog warmth.
- Pixels burn-in and slowly fade away when turned off.
- Slow-motion retrace lines show the picture being refreshed.
- Cathode's many lifelike touches constantly surprise and delight.
- Ray tubes burst open in new windows and bounce as they're moved.
- Dynamic perspective, lighting, and shadows raise the bar for app visuals.
- Customizable sound effects highlight your interactions.
- Use an image or webcam photo as glass reflection.
- Immerse yourself and disregard thirty years of user interface progress.
- Impress curious onlookers at work, school, or the cafe.
- Zoom in on virtual pixels for blocky resolutions.
- Works great with multiple monitor setups.
- Hide the clutter of modern computing.
But Wait, There's More!:
- Cathode isn't just a terminal, it's also a great text editor.
- Use familiar dialogs, menus, key combos, and gestures.
- Open any image file to generate ASCII art.
- View your webcam feed as real-time ASCII art.
- Save screenshots.
- iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro: 2007 or newer
- MacBook, MacBook Air, Mac mini: mid-2008 or newer
- Unsupported graphics cards: Intel GMA 950 and X3100, ATI Radeon X1600
What's New in Version 2.4.1
- Faster bit-rates.
- Networking security improvements for macOS Sierra.
- Fixed a bug related to uninstalled fonts.
Probably the greatest thing to ever occur
This application is just so great. I know it might sound ridiculous, but I LOVE having the old-timey feel of a CRT, line-only computer. And this particular emulator is VERY well-polished and feature-rich. Because of this app, I’ve started using the command line much more, and have even loaded a word processor and web browser onto it because it’s just so fun to immerse yourself in the retro computer ecosystem. The nostalgia feels amazing.
It’s well-worth the money, in my opinion. It gives an entirely new feel to the OS X terminal and really helps increase the entertainment value of even the most tedious command line work. Would absolutely recommend to anybody who is proficient with the command line.
Great, but please add mouse support!
I realize that mouse support kind of goes against the ostensible vibe of retro console computing, but tbh i use the mouse all the time and appreciate the extra productivity it brings with programs like tmux and vim. Please add mouse support!
I simply don’t see the purpose of this app. This is app is what I would expect if (insert generic box store) were asked to design a shell manager. Gobs of “neat” options to make a terminal window worse. But to be fair, I don’t understand people who still play atari games. To each his/her/etc. . . own.