By Secret Geometry
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
- Fast and Accurate Emulation
- Dynamic Scrollback Buffer
- 256 Colors
- 12 Retro Fonts
Great Mac Integration:
- Drag and Drop Files
- Customizable Keyboard
- Mouse Copy/Paste
- Command-Click to Open URLs
- Save/Recall Favorite Commands
- Choose from a large collection of themes spanning every era.
- Tweak to your heart's content with a dozen real-time sliders.
- Effects include screen curvature, burn-in, scan-lines, and transparency.
- Glowing halos simulate the human eye's reaction to intense brightness.
- Slow down the bitrate like an old modem.
- The quirks of old electronics are charming to the modern eye.
- Watch the strange dance of horizontal desyncs and splitting colors.
- Turn up the static, jitter, and flicker to add an analog warmth.
- Pixels burn-in and slowly fade away when turned off.
- Slow-motion retrace lines show the picture being refreshed.
- Cathode's many lifelike touches constantly surprise and delight.
- Ray tubes burst open in new windows and bounce as they're moved.
- Dynamic perspective, lighting, and shadows raise the bar for app visuals.
- Customizable sound effects highlight your interactions.
- Use an image or webcam photo as glass reflection.
- Immerse yourself and disregard thirty years of user interface progress.
- Impress curious onlookers at work, school, or the cafe.
- Zoom in on virtual pixels for blocky resolutions.
- Works great with multiple monitor setups.
- Hide the clutter of modern computing.
But Wait, There's More!:
- Cathode isn't just a terminal, it's also a great text editor.
- Use familiar dialogs, menus, key combos, and gestures.
- Open any image file to generate ASCII art.
- View your webcam feed as real-time ASCII art.
- Save screenshots.
- iMac, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro: 2007 or newer
- MacBook, MacBook Air, Mac mini: mid-2008 or newer
- Unsupported graphics cards: Intel GMA 950 and X3100, ATI Radeon X1600
What's New in Version 2.3.0
- New app icon.
- Updated retina artwork.
- Easier to see mouse cursor.
- Prompt text properly clears when resizing window.
- Fixed Yosemite glitches.
Nice visual effects, hopelessly poor terminal emulation
The visual effects are nice and the author did a decent job here. A lot of the built-in presets are too distorted and/or annoying to be usable, but the C64 and 286 modes are solidly done and made me smile.
The problem is that the terminal emulation is extremely bad. The program only offers “xterm”, “xterm-color”, and “xterm-color-256” as emulation choices, all of which should work and are fine with other terminals and the built-in terminal app, but not with Cathode. Something as basic as vi does not work. Logging into my Mikrotik router causes only the first line of the terminal to be rendered.
That makes Cathode nothing more than a parlor trick, and as such I feel tricked indeed into spending five bucks on something I was hoping would be a usable terminal program.
Cute as a button
Totally superfluous, but way too much fun not to use. Love it.
If you must use CLI, at least reminisce whilst doing so.
Nice app, looks gorgeous and you can customize it to fit your needs. At times, and I think this is OS X, some terminal sessions freeze. No biggie, but it can be a bit of an annoyance.