By Secret Geometry
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Cathode is an advanced terminal app with visuals inspired by classic computers.
Use it to wirelessly connect to any machine that offers secure shell access.
- Fast and accurate emulation
- Live text resizing and reflowing
- 256 Colors
- Unicode (single width glyphs)
- Perfect score on test suites
- Large collection of retro bitmap fonts
- Zoom text from small/crisp to large/blocky.
- More than a dozen sliders for customizing shape, colour, lighting, and distress.
- Takes full advantage of retina displays
- Fluid animations respond to your gestures and movements
- Low power modes for using less CPU and battery
- Support for bluetooth keyboards, including special keys
- On-screen keyboard can be customized with favorite characters
- Keyboard can be hidden for a fullscreen experience
- Works comfortably in both portrait and landscape modes
- Connects over 3G or Wifi
- Handles multiple concurrent sessions
- Preserves connections and reconnects when needed
- Automatically detects nearby computers using Bonjour
- Save bookmarks for frequently used servers.
- SSH key management.
What's New in Version 3.3.1
- Key selection works properly on iPads running iOS8.
- Fn+0 sends F10.
- Other fixes.
An iPad and this app are all I need
This app is amazing. It's simple, it's clean and it performs exactly as advertised. This app has been extremely good to me.
I use it to ssh into my schools Linux server to do all my programming homework.
The most awesome retro SSH client
This app is probably the coolest app on my iPad and I have a ton of apps. The author needs to do a better job with keywords because I never came across it all these years of searching "ssh" or "telnet" or "retro computer" etc. This app uses modern graphics to give you that 1970s or 1980s CRT look. It is such an awesome experience. Just buy a $30 Raspberry Pi and ssh to it via your iPad and Bluetooth keyboard. I love the Cyan color and BigInJapan font. Makes me feel like a hacker in "Aliens." You can adjust the display glow for each screen character, zoom the font sizes, even introduce screen curvature, flicker, static, etc. if you like. No need to buy a real CRT monitor and hassle with it to get a retro feel. This app had better keep compatibility through iOS 10 and beyond! (Author, check your App Store keywords! You're losing out on purchases).
Made my iPad much more useful
As a command line (vim, zsh, etc.) user, Cathode lets me use my iPad to do real work.
I keep my computer running as a server and use Cathode to SSH into it. With some help from Dropbox, Cathode lets me use my iPad Pro 9.7" as my only computing device. I have so far written a bunch of code in Cathode with the Smart Keyboard, and haven't had too many problems. I like the retro look. I've toned it down a lot, leaving only some glow, burn-in, and scanlines, and it is very pretty.
I have a few minor annoyances.
1. Smart Keyboard support isn't perfect. For example, Cathode sometimes captures all the keyboard's inputs when I leave the app, leaving me unable to use the keyboard in other apps. I have to restart my iPad to fix this.
2. I wish the color options were more comprehensive. Ideally, I would want to be able to import an iTerm theme and use those colors.
I again stress that these are minor annoyances. This is an incredibly useful app.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 09, 2015
- Version: 3.3.1
- Size: 5.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Secret Geometry, Inc.
- © 2015, Secret Geometry, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.