By Secret Geometry
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Cathode is an advanced terminal app with visuals inspired by classic computers.
Use it to wirelessly connect to any machine that offers secure shell access.
- Fast and accurate emulation
- Live text resizing and reflowing
- 256 Colors
- Unicode (single width glyphs)
- Perfect score on test suites
- Large collection of retro bitmap fonts
- Zoom text from small/crisp to large/blocky.
- More than a dozen sliders for customizing shape, colour, lighting, and distress.
- Takes full advantage of retina displays
- Fluid animations respond to your gestures and movements
- Low power modes for using less CPU and battery
- Support for bluetooth keyboards, including special keys
- On-screen keyboard can be customized with favorite characters
- Keyboard can be hidden for a fullscreen experience
- Works comfortably in both portrait and landscape modes
- Connects over 3G or Wifi
- Handles multiple concurrent sessions
- Preserves connections and reconnects when needed
- Automatically detects nearby computers using Bonjour
- Save bookmarks for frequently used servers.
- SSH key management.
What's New in Version 3.3.1
- Key selection works properly on iPads running iOS8.
- Fn+0 sends F10.
- Other fixes.
The most awesome retro SSH client
This app is probably the coolest app on my iPad and I have a ton of apps. The author needs to do a better job with keywords because I never came across it all these years of searching "ssh" or "telnet" or "retro computer" etc. This app uses modern graphics to give you that 1970s or 1980s CRT look. It is such an awesome experience. Just buy a $30 Raspberry Pi and ssh to it via your iPad and Bluetooth keyboard. I love the Cyan color and BigInJapan font. Makes me feel like a hacker in "Aliens." You can adjust the display glow for each screen character, zoom the font sizes, even introduce screen curvature, flicker, static, etc. if you like. No need to buy a real CRT monitor and hassle with it to get a retro feel. This app had better keep compatibility through iOS 10 and beyond! (Author, check your App Store keywords! You're losing out on purchases).
This is a great app, but as a user if the Mac version of Cathode, I find that it's missing some features. Mainly: bell sounds (seriously, not even a modern beep?), speed / baud rate control, and font size selection are the features I'd from the Mac version I'd like to see implemented here. In addition, I've noticed some problems when the screen is rotated; it doesn't seem to be allowing "full screen" programs to discover the terminal size has changed (I tested it with TinyFugue, and vim). One more thing: it's annoying to have tap twice to hide the keyboard.
Peace of mind and mobile productivity
The colorful interface is nice, but cathode truly shines in the peace of mind it gives you. Is there a system you babysit? Some tsk on a server you run sometimes? Cathode lets you do those things from anywhere with service. Suddenly, you can go to that music festival and not worry about something falling over in the middle.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Feb 09, 2015
- Version: 3.3.1
- Size: 5.4 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Secret Geometry, Inc.
- © 2015, Secret Geometry, Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.