By Rejean Poirier
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Caustic 3 is a music creation tool inspired by rack-mount synthesizer/sampler rigs.
Everything is real-time and optimized for mobile devices.
Create your rack by adding up to 14 machines from a choice of:
* Subsynth - Virtual analog subtractive synthesizer
* PCMSynth - Multi-sample wave synthesizer
* BassLine - 303-like monosynth
* BeatBox - 8-channel sampling drum machine
* PadSynth - Harmonic table pad synthesizer
* 8BitSynth - 8bit equation solver synthesizer
* Modular - Fully configurable and routable synthesizer
* Organ - Tonewheel organ with rotary speaker
* Vocoder - 8-band harmonic vocoder
* FMSynth - DX-style 3-operator fm synthesizer
* KSSynth - Karplus-Strong string modeling synthesizer
The app also includes:
* Effects rack supporting 2 effects per machine (16 effect types).
* Mixer desk with EQ, panning and global Delay/Reverb effects.
* Master section with effect slots, parametric EQ and limiter.
* Song sequencer
AudioBus support for Input and Output slots.
AudioCopy Paste + AudioShare support for import and export.
Supports automation recording on most controls and includes powerful editors for modifying automation curves.
Users can record their own WAV files for use in the PCMSynth, BeatBox, and Vocoder or import files through iTunes file sharing, ACP, AudioShare, or the built-in FTP server.
Supports all uncompressed WAV files (8-16-24-32bit, any sampling rate).
The PCMSynth can also load SoundFont files (.sf2), SFZ and FL/Xewton instruments (.instr, .ZIP)
"Open In.." import support for all preset types, .WAV, .SF2 and .MID.
(MIDI (.mid) files can be imported as raw sequencer note data.)
Supports CoreMIDI and virtual MIDI for note, velocity and CC data. (be sure to set "Enable background audio" in advanced options to use virtual MIDI)
See the in-app help section for dozens of informative tutorial videos and full online manual.
There is also a FREE (full version) PC/Mac version available for download on the product website.
Come visit www.singlecellsoftware.com to download more presets, request features, share your tracks and hear what others are creating with Caustic 3.
Works on iPhone/iPod but iPad is recommended.
What's New in Version 3.1.2
Hotfix for song export issue in iOS8
I have tried several of these "all-in-one" music sequencing apps, including GarageBand and Korg Gadget. IMHO, Caustic is the best one I've tried so far. It has an extremely diverse and usable set of synthesizers. There is only one drum machine, but it too has a very diverse set of kits, including a couple of really "different" ones (Latin, congas, tablas, coffee can!). The whole app seems to have been very well thought out to provide lots of capability as well as ease of use. And, it looks like everything in the mixer, effects, and most synth settings can be automated! Not only that, but the documentation, tutorial videos, and manual are extremely well done and understandable. This app would be incredible at 5X the price. I'm going to be exploring this one for a LONG time...
With the ability to import sound fonts and instruments, this has become a hugely valuable tool for recording a raw sketch of a track. Two things that would make this even better,
1. MIDI Out. Would create an environment much like a desktop DAW controlling it's VSTs via piano roll... Which would be fantastic.
2. I understand that providing more inter-app compatibility is opening Pandora's box sometimes, but there are simply so many powerful effects processors and dynamic EQ modulators that would GREATLY enhance the quality of each track I record. Adding Inter-App effects to the mixer would allow me to mold tracks into much closer to final product than raw material.
This is more a "user review" than not. It has been several months using it on a near daily event. I am wanting some cool presets. These are hidden in all the tweaking. On surface most are gurgles and bleeps. A few real sounding instruments.
So your satisfaction using this will depend on one's ability to coax the sounds you want. We need a video of some sonic possibilities and how to go from start to finish.
Are there sound packages? Drums, leads, guitar? Ambient sound textures, pink floyd atmospheres? ?
- Category: Music
- Updated: Oct 07, 2014
- Version: 3.1.2
- Size: 29.7 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Rejean Poirier
- © 2014 SingleCellSoftware
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.