Our CoverageMap app empowers you to test network performance in areas where you live, work, and play. Not only does testing performance in your neighborhood provide you with useful insights, but the data you produce also helps carriers improve the quality of your mobile life.
The newest version of the app for iOS has expanded the functionality and ease of use found in previous versions to give you a personal network testing and comparison tool that’s better than ever. And whether you’re already familiar with our CoverageMap app or simply curious about testing mobile network performance in your neighborhood, you’ll quickly see how easy it is to get started.
• Improved user interface. Our updated app not only boasts a beautiful new user interface, but it also makes it easy to find and select the options and settings you want to use before running a test. Plus, easily identify areas that have yet to be tested, and be the first to put yourself on the map.
• A world of results on an expanded dashboard. Your test results can tell you a great deal about your daily mobile life. Get a broader understanding of your findings with new stats such as moving averages, histories, and more.
• Personalize your results. Wondering how performance with your carrier of choice compares between the office and at home? Now you can find out. Easily select multiple hexes on the map to compare your results, and find out if others are having the same experience.
• Test how you want, when you want. Set your device to automatically run performance tests continuously, or sample network conditions in the background. Stop a test at any time with either setting. When you turn background collection on, you anonymously contribute information about your device’s data performance without using your data plan.
• We want to hear from you. While we love to see more and more data points appear on the map, you can also tell us about your experience in your own words. Whether it’s something you feel requires our attention, or you just want to say you’ve had a great experience testing performance, we want to hear from you.
Enjoying the app? Please rate it and leave your comments in the App Store.
Follow us on Twitter
Like us on Facebook
Ratings and Reviews
Doesn't accurately represent signal strength and here's why. They have a strong bias towards measuring signal outdoors when majority of us spend much of our time indoors. This makes carrier with high frequency band such as T-Mobile appear to have unrealistically good coverage. High frequency signals can't penetrate walls. So take the top restaurants in a city like Seattle. The coverage map will show excellent coverage when in reality you get no data! Unless you're a truck or bus driver and you're always on the road you're not going to get great coverage from a carrier like T-Mobile. Until this app focuses on indoor coverage (where most people will spend their time) it's pretty useless.
Update: Switched to Sprint. This coverage map is incorrect more than 50% of the time with my iPhone X. I don’t get service where this app tells me I should with the latest phone! Have to wonder if they’re independent, unbiased, and trustworthy as they once were. Wonder if money corrupted their mission.
One of my favorite apps! I love being able to see results visually on a map. This update finally brought back continuous testing.
Suggestions for future releases:
1. Button to instantly begin testing from the map screen without having to press the test button then begin testing.
2. Lighter theme on testing screen. In bright sunlight wearing sun glasses it can be difficult to read the screen. A lighter background would help.
3. Simultaneously test upload and download to more closely match real world usage.
4. When performing continuous testing have an option to limit the number of tests per hexagon. This would be helpful especially when traveling not to burn too much data when stopped. For instance when on a road trip at a gas station it would only run 3 cycles then pause till resume driving.
5. Show signal strength DB.
Good information, but Data Hog
I was using this app to figure out which service I wanted to use. I was surprised at how much data the app uses. Also, it doesn’t seem to be a way to screen out older data. With new and dead towers, it would be nice to see if the data is 12 months old versus 5 years old. This has great potential, but after using 3GB in 3 days, I’m done contributing.
- Root Wireless, Inc.
- 30.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2010–2018 RootMetrics. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.