Chambers is the single-volume international English dictionary with the widest coverage of all the riches of the English language. Clear, accurate and occasionally witty definitions, with the latest new words from science, technology and contemporary culture.
This 13th Edition reflects the changes in our language, with special attention paid to new words that have emerged, new uses of old words and the most up-to-date pronunciation. The 13th Edition includes over 260,000 distinct words, compounds, phrases and derived forms.
The intelligent word entry suggests possible correct spellings as you type, as well as listing words that sound the same or are often confused. Search features include:
- Alphabetical listing
- Spelling suggestions
- Sounds-like and often-confused
- Fast pattern-matching search (*, ?, vowel and consonant)
- Filter search results by noun, verb, adjective, adverbs
- Customize search options (case, derived forms, etc)
There are also standard bookmark, recent word and random word features. No Internet connection is required, and it supports Split View and Slide over for use with other apps on iPad.
The Chambers Dictionary is treasured by word-lovers and crossword enthusiasts for its majestic coverage of English and its tradition of sneaking in a sprinkling of light-hearted definitions. Alone among the single-volume dictionaries, it preserves a rich stock of words from our literary heritage as well as covering all the latest developments in contemporary English.
Chambers Thesaurus is also available as a separate app, and can easily be cross-referenced from the dictionary. Our WordWeb, Chambers, Collins and Oxford dictionaries are also available separately for Windows and Mac desktop.
Minor corrections and fixes
Ratings and Reviews
This Chambers app is an amazing app, like all of Word Webs.
Here are my recommendations to the developer for mobile:
(1) Just as with your desktop software, let you switch in tabs between all the dictionaries and thesauruses you purchase. That is a critical feature in your desktop applications and increases their value and makes it sensible to buy ALL your dictionaries. This would be a moneymaker for WordWeb and great for users.
(2) Why not sell your other desktop dictionaries on mobile? No work and more revenue, and your users would benefit.
Here is my recommendation regarding Desktop:
(1) Please make the spacing and placement of lines of text consistent as one switches between the tabs of WordWeb books.
(2) Please use MacOS built-in support for graphics card acceleration for more natural resizing on the wide variety of displays. It looks really bad as you resize and for a business to purchase this app for this users, that raises questions of longevity.
A must have App
Very useful and I definitely recommend it to everyone
Great piece of work!
I've tried all the dictionary apps, and this one is my new favorite. It has all the features of the other good apps combined: typing letters in the search box brings up matching words immediately; tapping a word in one definition brings you to the definition of THAT word; there's an immense vocabulary on tap; there's a standard pronunciation key, parts of speech, etymologies, and most importantly, very clear definitions.
The app makes intelligent suggestions about alternative spellings or related words. A book I was reading mentioned the word "chafron." I looked it up but found no match. Then I noticed a drop-down list of suggested alternatives on the right, one of which was "chaffron." Tapping this brought me to the definition of "chamfron," for which chaffron is an alternative, and which I knew from the context was the word I was looking for.
I haven't run into any of the "light-hearted" definitions yet, but the ones I've seen - and the app has all of the "test words" I try in a new dictionary - have been spot-on. This dictionary app, for me, is worth every penny.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.