By AFK Creative
Open the Mac App Store to buy and download apps.
Character Folio is an easy-to-use program for anyone that wants to capture information about a character they’re creating. Whether you’re a novelist, a screenwriter, a game designer, or even a writer of comic books, Character Folio allows you to store a wealth of information about your characters in one easy-to-manage location.
From blood-type to biography, special abilities to biggest secret, Character Folio gives you a simple, organised, tabbed structure to keep track of all your character's details.
- Store multiple characters per folio - have a folio for each of your projects.
- A tabbed folder of information for each character, providing easy access to all their data.
- Six main information sections: Vitals, Personality, Health, Beliefs, Biography, and Notes.
- Store information about multiple special abilities.
- Family and social relationships including loved ones, friends, enemies, and social groups.
- 'Scrap Notes', for any additional information and fields specific to your story or project.
- Eight reports detailing all the data captured about your character, including print and PDF options.
- Image Library, store multiple images against each character.
Character Folio is designed to get you thinking about your character. It isn’t designed to hold every last drop of information about them, as that would be impossible, but hopefully it gives you a start on designing rounded and believable people to populate your stories. Character Folio also doesn’t adhere to any particular character creation methodology; you’re free to store as much or as little information as you like.
Note that Character Folio is not an automated character creation tool - any details for characters are thought up by you, the author.
This doesn't just work for fictional characters (though it does that splendidly). It is a great tool for describing anyone in detail and seeing whether you really know someone as well as you think you do, literary or otherwise. For non-fiction, this can work wonders - how helpful it is to have a full report on the characters that you're recalling right in front of you, instead of having to hope that the information will just come to you when you need it. I can't even think of all the different ways this app could help in writing. Just to warn, though, if using real people be sure to respect privacy and use aliases where appropriate.
This app works exactly like it should. It is simple, yet the questions asked are very detailed. I've had absolutely no problems running it. My one complaint is that it needs an easier way to share the information with other people; when co-writing with others, it can be difficult to send them the information, the only way being to print out your character report, which often spans over 15 - 16 pages when printed. I would also prefer a larger character limit in some areas, because I tend to go very in depth and often run out of room. If you're looking for a simple, clean looking app to organize characters, this is a great one - though the $14 price tag is daunting.
- Category: Productivity
- Released: Nov 01, 2012
- Version: 1.0.0
- Size: 9.2 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Craig Romans
- © Craig Romans 2012
Compatibility: OS X 10.6.6 or later