Charts&Tides is the new must-have marine navigation software for the Mac. It provides access to charts, tides, ActiveCaptain information, GPS navigation and more in a well designed and integrated package. Use it at home to research and plan your trip or add a GPS device and use it on your boat to navigate a route to your final destination.
Charts&Tides was designed with ease of use in mind. The interface is intuitive and tasks have been streamlined. Unlike other marine software, you no longer need to download, store and manage individual charts or load them into the software; we have done the legwork for you and compiled large area charts that combine information from multiple sources.
In more detail:
- Provides continuous and seamless large area charts derived from NOAA and CHS vector cartography.
- Shows tide levels and current speeds on the chart using easily interpreted icons. Allows you to judge the water situation around you with a single glance.
- Integrates with the ActiveCaptain interactive cruising guidebook providing you with access to thousands of marinas, anchorages, hazards and other local knowledge.
- Stores the entire ActiveCaptain database offline so that it is always available to you, even without an Internet connection.
- Allows you to instantly search thousands of chart features and the ActiveCaptain database.
- Supports waypoints, routes, tracks and allows you to import and export them in GPX format.
- Supports GPS devices that transmit in the NMEA 0183 or GPSD format. Route navigation with automatic waypoint sequencing is supported.
- Supports AIS devices and Closest Point of Approach (CPA) computations and alerts, including spoken alerts. Set the CPA and TCPA and hear the computer speak the alerts to you!
- Comes with a dark UI that looks good during the day and will preserve your night vision when it is dark.
The software comes with a world base map, but does not come prepackaged with any detailed marine charts. You can purchase detailed marine charts from within the application. You can also use the software without purchasing additional charts.
- Updated for OS X Yosemite
- Misc other fixes
Ratings and Reviews
No support, and restore purchases crashes
I like this program on my iPad. It work well for browsing cruising areas, and looking at the tides. It’s definately not a full blown navigation software. The issue I have with this version is I am unable to restore my previous purchase of 2015 US Charts. It will download about 80% of it before it crashes and gives me a store error. I would love to give this a better rating, but, I have never gotten a response from the developer after two emails.
iPad & iPhone work great. This Mac OS X version has many issues
I use Charts & Tides on my iPhone and iPad and love it. This Mac OS X version would not allow me to download the charts that I paid for so I had to pay $40 again. The Active Captain integration will not let me login. ActiveCaptain is the main reason that I use this software. If I cannot login to active captain, I cannot import routes, I cannot save a route, this program will not work for me and a wast e of $40. Frustrated. Who is the one user who gave this app a 5 star?
No Active Captain integration PLEASE HELP
Have paid the $30 to use this and I cannot integrate with active captain. This isn’t user error. My credentials are not accepted. Please have someone fix this!!! I’m writing this message in the review because there isn’t anywhere to contact the company. Please respond because this is essentially false advertising that I do not take lightly….thanks for your prompt attention in order to avoid further dispute.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.