CheckOff is a task management application that runs as a stand alone application or a menu bar app.
• Your choice: runs in a menu bar mode so that your dock doesn't get cluttered up, or as a normal application.
• Tasks can be placed within folders, and have labels attached to each task.
• Tasks can have notes with plain text or rich text with fonts, colors, and sizes.
• Notes can also contain links to websites or local files, allowing one click access to resources that can be used to complete the task.
• Menu bar icon color can be customized.
• Hot key support to open the main window.
• Export your tasks as text, RTF, html and opml
- Fixed a bug where if the checkmark icon was set a different color and you switched into dark mode, the color was lost
- removed third party source that I wasn't using anymore
Ratings and Reviews
App not dead, but location for data file has moved.
The app isn’t dead, but it isn’t migrating your old data file to its new location. The old data file is in your Users library under Application Support/Checkoff. The new location for the data file is also in your Users library. It’s too long for me to try to replicate here. Go to preferences in checkoff. The first entry under “General” will give you the new location. Quit the app, drag your old file to the new location (make a copy of it first perhaps!), replacing the existing file and restart the app. Should work. I’m not the developer, just a user who’s wrassled with this mess and come up with a solution. I believe you may also simply be able to point the app in the direction of your old data file - under the preferences that I’ve already mentioned there’s an option for specifying where the app should look for the data file. Again, perhaps worth it to make a copy before you do that.
Great tool! just needs a Search box
Great GTD tool. I've tried many and this is the best. It lets you add entries quickly and follows you from screen to screen if you use Mission Control. Most other GTD tools stay on one screen, so when you want to add an entry or check on your next To Do, you will need to go back to the original screen and/or relaunch the app -- very inconvenient process.
Comments section works well and is available for each entry. It even takes URLs and small attachments (attachments appear as links), so you can really expand on a particular To Do item, if needed.
With these simple and effective features, Check-off has morphed into a daily journal of sorts for me as well.
DropBox sync works well. I ran into just one glitch in 3 months of use -- I was simultaneously updating Check-off on an iMac and a MacBook Air (different information entered into each device) and Check-off was not able to reconcile and update the two versions properly. Not a serious issue for me.
One suggestion to the developer to make this a 5-star product -- please add a Search box, ideally similar to Apple's Search functionality in TextEdit.
This works very well for me.
I used to write things down on paper so that I would not forget and of course the paper would get buried under everything on my desk, so then I would start a new list which isn't very efficient. This app keeps it right in front where I have easy access all the time. I like the color capabilities and ease of use. It is simple. I need simple. I've recommended this to my daughter. I don't have a phone to sync with (yet) but I know it will be great to have this app when I do eventually have one.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.