Play chess with nearby friends via local WiFi or bluetooth.
Play with your iPhone against a friend with an iPhone. Each player sees the board from his point of view (white / black) on the own device. Works on iPhone, iPad and iPod.
To use the app, you need two devices with iOS 10 or newer. There is no engine included, which means that you can not play chess vs. this app. When you start chess duel on two devices, the devices do connect automatically if they are on the same WiFi network or bluetooth is activated.
Chess Duel only works if the two devices are in the same WiFi network or reachable via bluetooth. Connection over the internet is not possible.
- play chess with nearby friends
- direct nearby peer to peer connection via WiFi or bluetooth, no chess server involved
- automatically connects via wifi or bluetooth
- you can safely close the app during a game, chess duel automatically resumes the game when reconnected
- on interruption due to a phone call or an incoming message, the game is paused on both devices and resumes when you get back to the app
- shows legal moves when you tap a chess piece
- does not use gamecenter
- no internet connection required
- time control: you can setup the chess clock arbitrary for white and black, increment is supported as well
- request takebacks, the opponent can accept or decline
- give opponent additional time
- universal app: iPhone / iPod / iPad
- best chess app for nearby connections
- connection improvements (WiFi and bluetooth)
- if you have ideas to improve Chess Duel: send a mail to email@example.com
Ratings and Reviews
Perfect! Exactly what we wanted!
Wow! I hardly ever write app reviews, but in this case, I had to do it! This app is really well done, I did not find any bugs; it just worked perfectly!
- Connected both iPhones immediately and hassle-free
- Simple and to the point. No gimmicks! Let's you focus on playing chess!
- You don't have to deal with silly online accounts, bugs in the app, ads, privacy concerns or paid subscriptions
- Just a perfect little app to play chess with your friends or family when a physical board is not available
I actually can't believe is free. We played for hours and found no issues. I would have gladly paid after trying it out, maybe the developer should offer an in-app purchase option for people to show their appreciation for the app!
A friend and I downloaded the app, and it wouldn’t connect. We both sat right next to each other with our Bluetooth activated and the app couldn’t recognize the other player.
Simple and Smooth
I was looking for an app that would allow me to play chess with my son without having to login to a chess site and find each other. This app does the trick. No ads or gimmicky stuff. The connection time to the other device is rapid, and the game responds immediately and smoothly to push (not tap) moves made on either device. It is large enough on an iPhone. Nice work!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.