Play chess online with millions of players around the world! Enjoy free unlimited games and improve your chess rating with 50,000+ tactics puzzles, interactive lessons and videos, and a powerful computer opponent. Unlock your inner chess master today!
PLAY CHESS ONLINE
- Challenge your friends and chat with opponents
- Play real-time blitz or daily correspondence chess
- Solve more than 65,000 puzzles
- Adjusts to your skill level to help you improve
- Thousands of videos and interactive lessons from top Grandmasters
- Interactive tutorials with helpful tips and highlights
- Adjust the computer's strength
- Analyze your game to learn what went wrong
… AND MORE
- Daily articles by top authors and coaches like IM Jeremy Silman
- Opening explorer helps you learn and play the right openings
- Make friends & send messages
- 20+ gorgeous themes for boards, pieces, and backgrounds
- Detailed performance stats and ratings
- Active community forum
Also available in the app:
$4.99 USD monthly, $29.99 USD annually
More Puzzles, Lessons and Tournaments! No ads.
$6.99 USD monthly, $49.99 USD annually
Full access to Tactics, Tournaments, and more! No ads.
$14.99 USD monthly, $99.99 USD annually
Unlimited access to all features for playing, training and learning. No ads.
* Prices may vary by location.
Chess.com is built by chess players and enthusiasts who really love chess!
- Fixed some bugs that were causing the app to hang or crash during start up or after Live games... (Very sorry about that.)
- Added a new bug reporting / member support feature! (See "Help" in the main menu.)
- Just to be clear... we'll now send you an alert if someone aborts on you in a Daily game.
- Various other bug fixes and minor improvements
If you love this update, please consider giving us a fresh five-star rating in the App Store. It helps us out a lot! Thank you and happy chess!
Ratings and Reviews
I’ve been using this Chess app for about three or four years. It has a lot of additional features like tactics puzzles, videos, and preset predicaments to challenge you and help you set up future moves to create the best situation for your pieces. There is also a play-by-play review of your games which critiques your moves and tells you what you could’ve done better. A couple things that need improvement though. Often the app will fail to notify me when it’s my turn after my opponent has moved, requiring me to open the app and navigate to my active games to manually check if it is my turn. The other issue is that sometimes I will try to start a new game with a friend with the “Play A Friend” option and the app opens the “active connection countdown” when I’m not trying to play a live game. I’m sure there is a way to create a new game with a friend without creating an active challenge, but I am not sure how. If this feature exists, it just needs to be integrated in an easy to find menu. (This review is based on my use from a Samsung Galaxy S5).
EDIT: I have an iPhone X now and I am able to successfully use the “Play A Friend” option to create a daily game without the app opening the “Active Connection Countdown” so the issue I stated previously may already be resolved.
Social upgrade & Design simplification (NEEDED)
I want to offer simple design improvements that would engage users to a whole other level. This is so far a chess app / website that allows you to just play chess but severely lacks an actual chess community to the degree in which I see its potential. We want to find professional players / engage and keep up with chess news. People don’t want to read articles that’s boring. When I go to a professional chess players page all I see is comment spam from random people and no actual comments or video updates from the chess player them self. It needs to have Facebook comment design prioritizing the users comments at the top and then the most like comments after. They should also be able to add photos that could be commented on and liked. Secondly there are SO MANY sections that are not grouped up accordingly. People love simplicity. There should be a (Play) (Learn) (Watch) (News).
Instead, all the categories that should be located inside each drop box are scattered outside these categories and are extremely ugly and overwhelming. Besides that to somehow promote twitch engagement would be huge and lastly, getting borders for your advertisements would help you look like s more high quality website. I just love chess so much and this app. I want this app to be successful and the chess community to grow.
Thank you for the great feedback! We are right now working on a HUGE overhaul of the navigation to make the whole app much easier and simpler to use, without giving up a single feature. Great thoughts, too, about making the profiles of our more popular/titled players more engaging...
BEST CHESS EVER!!!!
I had started playing chess around three years ago, but stopped playing after a while because me sister wouldn’t have time for it anymore. I also didn’t know all the weird stuff or the stuff that is secluded, like castling, stalemate and the difference between check and checkmate. And so I gave up on chess. But three years later, in 7th grade we had a chess tournament in our contest math class. I was very unpleased and upset to have found out that I lost in the second round! I watched the finals match, and watched one of my good friends get bashed and checkmated in around five to six maybe seven minutes. At that moment, I wanted to be like that guy who defeated my friend so badly. So I started forcing my sister to play chess with me. But however at one point she got tired of it. So then I had to find a good chess app or website to play on. After lots of asking people what the best chess apps are, I finally got this one!!! And I must say I love it! There is however, a minor issue. I found out there is now multiplayer! The other player must have an account and you have to invite them. Anyway, other than that, it’s all cool!!!
- Chess.com, LLC
- 94.7 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Afrikaans, Albanian, Arabic, Armenian, Azerbaijani, Basque, Belarusian, Bengali, Bosnian, Bulgarian, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Galician, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Kannada, Kazakh, Korean, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Nepali, Norwegian Bokmål, Pashto, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Punjabi, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Simplified Chinese, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Somali, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tajik, Tamil, Telugu, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Turkmen, Ukrainian, Urdu, Uzbek, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011 Chess.com, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- Diamond Membership $99.99
- Diamond Membership $14.99
- Platinum Membership $6.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.