Chess Problems by World Champions: Memphis Chess Club
By Gano Technologies LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sharpen your chess skills!
Beginners and experienced players alike will enjoy solving the chess puzzles included in this app. All of the puzzles were hand picked and were either taken from actual games or are compositions inspired by actual games!
The app includes 645 interactive puzzles ranging from mate in 2 moves all the way to mate in 17 moves! The object is to finish each puzzle by forcing a checkmate in a given number of moves. These puzzles are fun to play and can be enjoyed at your leisure on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
All of the puzzles in this app are from the book 'Memphis Chess Club: Chess Problems by World Champions' by Kenn E. Thompson, Dwight K. Weaver, and Christopher McDade (2011) and is available in the iTunes Bookstore.
Other features include:
- Timing clock is displayed while you are working on each puzzle. How long you take to solve a puzzle is stored.
- Lots of options: 7 chess piece sets and 7 different colors schemes including wood and marble.
- Social Gaming: Leaderboards to compare the number of puzzles you have solved with your friends and other players. Facebook integration - including the ability to post your progress and ask your friends for help on a puzzle.
- Universal app - works on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad - high resolution graphics all around (where supported).
For even more chess puzzle challenges check out these apps:
- Mate in 1 Puzzles
- Mate in 2 Puzzles
- Mate in 3 Puzzles
- Mate in 4+ Puzzles
What's New in Version 3.2
- Larger buttons on the game board + menu
- Fixed issues that could cause the app to crash when the next/previous puzzle button is pushed (especially when the hide solved puzzle option is enabled)
- other bug fixes and puzzle corrections
I love how this app has NEVER crashed on me, unlike ichess. Chess is a huge passion of mine and this an app that actually challenges me and warms me up for competitive play.
Creator of App (SUGGESTION):
I would just prefer (as an advanced player), to be able to disable the help lines that spread across the board when you click on a chess piece. I can't click on a chess piece without being distracted by these lines and I feel this part of the app was intended for novices, thus it should have the option to be disabled for veteran players!
Excellent and very challenging
This is a great collection of exercises on the tactical side of chess. They are organized staring with mate in two, then three, four, and so on. You can skip around as you like and I'm currently at the mate is five section. There's still one mate in four that stumps me though. I love that the computer will play any variation, so you can learn why "your" idea doesn't work. Puzzle hero, another great collection, doesn't do this. I recommend both. Thanks for this great piece of solid work!
Great fun – – with one problem
This app is a lot of fun and I'm sure you'll get many many hours of chess enjoyment from it.
However, you are playing against a chess engine and not a script, and the chess Engine does not always respond the same way to the same moves, which in some cases makes solving a puzzle impossible. In other cases, the engine responds randomly but it's still possible to find the solution.
I'm up to mate in six and I've seen this behavior several times, and it can be very frustrating if you spent a long time on a particular puzzle.
Like I said, though, this app is a lot of fun and if you like chess puzzles it's well worth your time and money.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Nov 18, 2014
- Version: 3.2
- Size: 12.5 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Gano Technologies LLC
- © Shawn E. Gano
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.