Chess Problems by World Champions: Memphis Chess Club
By Gano Technologies LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Sharpen your chess skills!
Beginners and experienced players alike will enjoy solving the chess puzzles included in this app. All of the puzzles were hand picked and were either taken from actual games or are compositions inspired by actual games!
The app includes 645 interactive puzzles ranging from mate in 2 moves all the way to mate in 17 moves! The object is to finish each puzzle by forcing a checkmate in a given number of moves. These puzzles are fun to play and can be enjoyed at your leisure on your iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad.
All of the puzzles in this app are from the book 'Memphis Chess Club: Chess Problems by World Champions' by Kenn E. Thompson, Dwight K. Weaver, and Christopher McDade (2011) and is available in the iTunes Bookstore.
Other features include:
- Timing clock is displayed while you are working on each puzzle. How long you take to solve a puzzle is stored.
- Lots of options: 7 chess piece sets and 7 different colors schemes including wood and marble.
- Social Gaming: Leaderboards to compare the number of puzzles you have solved with your friends and other players. Facebook integration - including the ability to post your progress and ask your friends for help on a puzzle.
- Universal app - works on iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad - high resolution graphics all around (where supported).
For even more chess puzzle challenges check out these apps:
- Mate in 1 Puzzles
- Mate in 2 Puzzles
- Mate in 3 Puzzles
- Mate in 4+ Puzzles
What's New in Version 3.2.1
- Fixed bug in which the app would crash or possibly not send the correct .pgn file in an email when exporting a puzzle.
- Fixed crash when re-running the hint solver multiple times
- other minor fixes and iOS compatibilities issues
Best Chess Practice App, Hands Down
I purchased this app for .99 and I can honestly say that it doesn't get better than this. The chess computer sometimes moves different than the original game, which is great--sometimes I can solve one, redo it, and take a while to figure out based on the other move it made. Chess books as great, but this tops them all and it's dirt cheap. Another plus, for me, is the custom skin options. I love the Leipzig pieces on gray background. It's so awesome and I wish my other chess apps had those pieces. The next best app is tchess. I was hesitant, but the computer and analyser are AMAZINGLY helpful. Spread the word for these great chess apps!
Excellent and very challenging
This is a great collection of exercises on the tactical side of chess. They are organized staring with mate in two, then three, four, and so on. You can skip around as you like and I'm currently at the mate is five section. There's still one mate in four that stumps me though. I love that the computer will play any variation, so you can learn why "your" idea doesn't work. Puzzle hero, another great collection, doesn't do this. I recommend both. Thanks for this great piece of solid work!
Make it historical
My major complaint: once one proceeds beyond 'Mate in 4' the computer starts thinking on its own, beyond whatever the actual outcome of the masters' game it's supposed to depict. If the idea is to learn from the recorded game, then what's programmed into it should reflect the actual game's notation, not allow it to respond with other possible solutions, even if other moves are possible. At such a point, there's no way to know what the master players' actual moves were.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 10, 2016
- Version: 3.2.1
- Size: 12.3 MB
- Language: English
- Seller: Gano Technologies LLC
- © Shawn E. Gano
Compatibility: Requires iOS 5.1.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.