For chess players who want the ease and accuracy of an electronic scoresheet at an affordable price, now there is Chess Score Pad. Chess Score Pad is designed to be easy to use because we know that you need to concentrate on your game.
Keeping a score sheet is required for tournament games and essential in order to review your games to improve. A paper scoresheet distracts you from your game and they are prone to errors. Then the game needs to be manually copied into your chess game database. With Chess Score Pad there is no need to translate the move to the coordinates or risk forgetting to record a move. You simply drag or tap the piece to the new square. Then, after the game you can share the PGN file of the game and import it to your chess game database for analysis and review.
* Designed and written by a chess player who has played hundreds of USCF rated games.
* Game PGN can be shared using the standard iOS Sharing. This can include AirDrop, Message, Mail, Notes, Clipboard, Save to Files and direct import to apps that accept PGN (HIARCS).
*Universal App for iPhone, iPod Touch and iPad for one low price.
*Quick and easy setup:
- You can start entering moves without entering any information about the game.
- The "Next Game of Event" action copies the event name and increments the round number.
- You only need to enter your opponents name and your name is automatically entered.
- You can select frequent opponents from your contacts.
- Your pieces are automatically placed at the bottom of the screen.
* All moves are automatically saved. There is no chance of losing the moves you entered because you did not tap a save button.
* Move entry by dragging OR tapping the piece. Both options are always available.
* Straightforward move correction.
* Review moves with single move buttons or the live position slider to quickly find critical positions for review after the game. You can also use a swipe gesture to review moves.
* iPad users can display the notation while entering moves.
* Options to check for legal moves and positions.
* Adjust your screen brightness from the board view with swipe gestures.
* Print a scoresheet with a position diagram to an AirPrint printer.
* Option to include the time spent on each move in the scoresheet or PGN.
* Localization for English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish.
* Option for long (Ng1-e2) or short (Nge2) notation.
* Option for Figurine algebraic notation or Standard algebraic notation (Nf3) .
Chess Score Pad is an electronic scoresheet to record your moves during a chess game. It does not provide analysis. It is not certified so check with your tournament director before using it in a tournament.
More screenshots and documentation of all of the features can be found at ChessScorePad.com
Fixes an issue with the "Save to Files" sharing option.
In version 1.70:
Chess Score Pad now uses standard iOS Sharing for the PGN files and the scoresheet PDF.
This can include AirDrop, Message, Mail, Notes, Clipboard, Save to Files (iCloud) and direct import to apps that accept PGNs.
The PGN files can now contain multiple games.
The PGN files can include time for each move.
Ratings and Reviews
Great app for easy recording of chess games
This app has a lot of great features for what it allows you to do as far as recording chess games. What I would like to see added is a built in player list for those club players you play the most.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to write this review! Chess Score Pad can use your Contacts for club players you play the most. Just add them to your Contacts (I have a "Chess Players" group in my Contacts) and when entering your opponent's name, just tap the "+" button to get to your Contacts. This is covered in the users guide at http://chessscorepad.com
Great app. The convenience of recoding moves is fantastic. Two suggestions for the developer:
1. It would be great to be able to save games in .pgn format automatically.
1. See if you can get this app approved for USCF tournaments.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review!
I'm not quite sure want you are expecting in your suggestion about saving the PGN automatically. Chess Score Pad uses standard iOS sharing to give the user choices to share/save/print/PDF the PGN or a scoresheet. Message, Mail, Notes, ... Please contact me from the "Contact" page on the web site if you have something else in mind. It is good to get feedback from users.
As for the USCF certification. There is a page on the website about certification. I had a separate "Tournament Edition" of the app that was submitted and not certified. I believe that iPhone and iPad apps can be limited with the iOS Guided Access so cheating is not an issue. If the USCF ever comes out with a specification for iPhones and iPads, I will create a version to meet that specification.
From my web site:
By allowing a player to use Chess Score Pad you know that their device will be on the playing table in Airplane Mode, in plain sight.
Not allowing honest players to use their iPad, iPod or iPhone as an electronic scoresheet will not stop the dishonest player from using them to cheat.
App is great, but it would be even better if it had iCloud capabilities so that all your saved games can be pulled up on any device.
Developer Response ,
Done! With version 1.6 you can now save the PGN files to your iCloud drive. You can save individual games or multiple games in a file.
- Roger Carey
- 5.5 MB
Requires iOS 11.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2012-18 CalcFxC, LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.