Chess - SocialChess
By Woodchop Software LLC
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
SocialChess is a fun way to play fast or slow chess with friends or with random opponents! Play with a clock or play turn-based correspondence chess!
"Fantastic app. Easily the best head-to-head app out there!" -Leo Laporte
"Social Chess Is The Best Way To Get Your iCheckmate On" -CultOfMac.com
* No Advertisements!
* Beautiful, clean, intuitive layout.
* Optimized to be fast and stable. Nothing worse than an app that crashes!
* Features are chosen and implemented carefully.
* Instant account creation - no email validation necessary.
* Your privacy is respected. We will not spam or share any user info.
* Game features are driven by your feedback!
* Statistics - ELO Rating, Wins, Losses, Draws.
* Elo Charts & Per Opponent statistics.
* Receive push notifications when a game is updated.
* Play even when there is no internet connection. Moves are sent later!
* Play up to 5 games at a time, or increase it to 100 with In-App purchase!
* Search for opponents by username, email, or we'll match you with a random opponent.
* Claim Victory if opponent does not make a move in 5 days.
* Optional Takeback.
* Analysis Board to work out your strategy.
* User Profile including picture, comments, etc.
* Map view of your opponent's location.
* Browse your opponent's games, and their opponent's games.
* Elo Rankings.
What's New in Version 2.83
* Board sounds
* Elo charts & opponent statistics
* Additional chess sets added
* Many bug fixes and improvements
Very pleasant, Nice features
This may not have the 3D, 4D or other fancy settings. But even on free version, hardly any ads. Works great. I am able to get people to play either fast or slow, rated or unrated game, day or night within few minutes. There is optional chat. Kids might better stay off of that. Otherwise impressive. For kids learning, there is a Submit/Cancel button after making move, if you choose to turn it off/on. Actually, it saved my back to be honest couple of times. But I got cheated few times, I have played only 5 games so far. 2 games lost were rated. 3 games won, were unrated, I noticed only after my daughter pointed out, at the time of invitation, did not pay, close enough attention about rating. If you are behind high scores, they you should watch out. Other than that, if your intention is like mine, to get interest in kids and try to help them learn basics this is very good. I got a paid game also, Chess Pro. Very impressed with ton of materials it has on learning. But that is for learning, though it has playing feature with others. As the name says, on the social side, this is best. Watch out!!!! Kids are allowed to install, and by default allows profanity in chat including "F***" by default. Nots sure, can turn it off.
I use to love it but not anymore
This was once the best chess app in the App Store. I swore by it for a long time but now it's broke and nobody is fixing it.
I use Social Chess for local games as it use to be the only app that would allow local game including saving the games and annotating the moves it even allowed you to export PGN to clipboard and email.
Things went downhill, first an update removed the ability to export PGN from the free version and made it available only in $8 per year subscription version (why is this not a one time fee, they would get more users). Next the functionality that I use the app for (local games) broke. The ability to save and store local games simply stopped working. I sent email to the developer but receive no response. There are many apps in the store that will allow you to play online this was the only one that allowed for local or correspondence chess.
It's with a heave heart that I give this app a thumbs down hopefully they will restore to app to its former glory and I will be able to endorse it, till then👎🏻
Top notch customer service
Hello fellow chess players, I just want to comment about the social chess websites customer service; It is top notch I've been a member for a year or so and I've never had any issues with the app it self but if I have a question or suggestion, Lee the owner of social chess always got back with me no matter how minor the question was. He is not a Monday-Friday 9-5 person he takes care of all his customers heck today is Sunday and he got back to me with three questions that I asked. Also I'd like to mention that Lee got back with me on Thanksgiving day. So please if you have issues or suggestions please just shot Lee. Email you will be impressed in his response.
- Category: Games
- Updated: Apr 23, 2015
- Version: 2.83
- Size: 41.0 MB
- Languages: English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish
- Seller: Lee Carlson
- © 2015 Woodchop Software LLC
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Premium Annual Membership$7.99