Chess Studio is the first and only application for iPhone and iPad able to manage chess databases in PGN format in a complete and efficient way.
Chess Studio is an application designed and built for those players who really want to deepen their knowledge in the field of chess, studying chess regularly and participate in tournaments.
Chess Studio is a professional tool for the chess player, why is regularly updated with new features and improvements both for the management of databases and chess games, both in terms of the exploitation of device capabilities and the iOS operating system.
The author of Chess Studio, in addition to being an IT engineer, is himself a chess player for many years and knows very well the world of chess. He is interested to realize the best product possible because he is the first user himself.
Chess Studio allows you to:
• Read database and games in PGN format (also with extended notation of moves).
• Create, delete and modify folders and databases.
• View games with annotations and textual comments and keep track of the displayed games.
• Modify existing games with move annotation and textual comments.
• Insert new games and positions.
• Insert moves with annotations and textual comments.
• Insert variation, subvariations etc.
• Insert and visualize graphical annotation (colored arrows and highlighted squares).
• Send games by email.
• Download chess database from internet.
• Download chess database directly from PGN Mentor site.
• Import games or database from other applications.
• Copy/Paste games.
• Analyse games with Stockfish 8 Engine (up to 5 lines of analysis simultaneously).
• See graphic visualization of moves suggested by Stockfish 8 engine.
• Replay games automatically.
• Visualize Pawn structure.
• Manage Variations and sub-variatons: delete and promote variations.
• Read the weekly Magazine The New In Chess (TWIC) and download the games.
• Uploading and Downloading PGN Database to/from Dropbox and Google Drive.
• Three different modes for moving pieces.
• Analyse endgames with Nalimov Tablebases.
• Analyse and study Chess Openings in the Chess Openings Section.
• Automatically classify a database according to ECO code.
Other features and technical details:
• Modify the board size tapping on the board or through the Settings menu.
• Professional chess fonts and figurines for moves notation and annotation.
• Preview of the game in the board tapping the Info button.
• Quick search feature.
• Advanced search feature.
• Visualization of ECO code and Opening during game replay or game insertion.
• Visualization of Book Openings during game replay or game insertion.
• Portrait/Landscape mode for all devices.
• Support of Slide Over and Split View mode.
• Function to move up within variants and subvariants.
• Online manual frequently updated.
• iOS 11 compatible and optimized for all the devices.
• Sharing of databases across devices via iCloud Drive (also with Chess Studio for Mac OS).
• Sound option.
• Support for iPad Pro Keyboard or bluetooth keyboard.
• VoiceOver/Accessibility support.
• Help section contains videos to show the main features of Chess Studio.
• Direct contact via email with the developer to report problems, ask for explanation and suggestions (very quick answer!).
• Languages: Italian and English.
These are the main features.
The application is continuously updated with new features and improvements.
All the above features are completely working in Chess Studio.
All the features are available in the app without in-app purchases!
If you own an iMac or a MacBook try the new Chess Studio for Mac OS!
• Fixed a bug that prevented the setup of positions for iPad in split view mode.
• Fixes and improvements in the Voice over mode.
• Optimization of some components and performance improvements.
• Minor bug fixes.
Ratings and Reviews
Decent App with the Features that Players Need
This app has the best combination of features I've found so far. I love using it. And the developers seem attentive to making fixes.
I've discovered a few problems:
1. I wish there was an easy way to add .pgn and .txt files to an existing database. Either allow the copy of some or all of the games so they may be pasted to a database, or better yet provide an "Add File to Database" function.
2. The app does not properly interpret braces or ellipses which contain comments or variations. Maybe the apps' pgn standard needs to be expanded because other pgn programs read these files correctly.
3. There are a few mispelled words such as "Reasearch" which is correctly spelled "Research", etc.
thank you very much for your review. Could you be so kind to send me by email the problem you have discovered at firstname.lastname@example.org? In this way we can better interact each other. Thanks and regards, Giordano
Best PGN app in the store!
It’s astonishing that for a such a simple task like viewing PGN games I was not able to find a good app in the store until I found this app, It is awesome you can easily go through books and games with analysis from grand masters, unlike most of the other chess apps this is updated for iPhone X, keep up the good work!
Some Dropbox issues on earlier ios but there's a workaround, just contact developer--very responsive. Sounds like a fix is forthcoming also.
I am always available to solve all the problems of the application. Please, let me know in detail which is the problem. At the moment I never received reports about Dropbox connection, this is the first time. If someone has problems with Dropbox connection in Chess Studio please, let me know at email@example.com. I wish everybody an happy 2018.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.