Ever wanted to read your favourite chess books and be able to instantly play over the moves on screen? The revolutionary new Chess Studio, from renowned chess publishers Gambit, enables you to do that, and more. After downloading the free app, purchase your choice of classic chess e-books from the Gambit library and begin.
• text laid out in usual clear Gambit style
• play over moves and variations on screen
• accompanying text scrolls automatically
• tap any chess move and the position appears on the board
• easily navigate through complex variations
• search function for words, phrases, player names
• move swiftly between games and chapters
• choice of layout options - including flip board
• free sample text available to try out the app
Chess Studio represents an enjoyable and portable new way of reading chess books, designed by chess players for chess players. Overseeing every aspect of the app design was Grandmaster John Nunn, one of the best-respected figures in the chess world and three-times World Chess Solving Champion.
Here are the main new features, although there are too many minor improvements to list:
1. The app now works in portrait mode as well as landscape.
2. The live board can be resized and made considerably larger than in Chess Studio 1, especially in portrait mode.
3. There’s an analysis engine.
4. You can enter your own moves on the live board. This enables to try out your own moves, an especially useful feature when used with the engine.
5. You can create named bookmarks for each book, so that you can easily return to specific points in the book. The bookmarks are stored and will be available the next time you open the book.
6. The live board screen colours can be customised according to taste.
7. Scrolling speed and text display have been improved.
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome,happy to see this app move forward,updates is absolutely GREAT!
Their books are great,and customer service response is good too.
I sure hope (Batsfort Books)➡️ will join Gambit Studio,so that we're able to get some of their books.By Jeremy Silman / The Amateur Mind,How to Reassess Your Chess,and Logical Chess move by move (by Irving Chernev) The book doesn’t have to be perfect, we understand there might some mistakes made. And many more,digital e-Chess books is the way of the future for Chess!!
I knew John Nunn was working on these updates...
I’m hoping also to see notes added,and copy/paste,so I’m able to use other features with my Apple devices. I’m really interested in being able to use speak select feature...
However, if your app is unable to support text reader that Apple has,then I really would like to have the ability to add personal notes!
Great app with a good selection of books. Needs at least an analysis board so I can examine variations not covered in the text. Even the weakest engine would be nice too. But still a nice app for reading on the plane or at lunch or anywhere you don't have access to a board.
This is what a chess book should be...awesome!!!
This is perfect when you cannot use a chess board to play over the position. Works perfectly for me while commuting on the train.
Thank you Mr. Nunn!
- Gambit Publications Ltd
- 15 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © Gambit Publications
- In-App Purchases
- Gambit Free Samples Free
- Understanding Chess Move by Move $13.99
- Understanding Chess Middlegames $13.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.