Chess Tactics and Puzzles
By Lockwood Productions
This app is only available on the App Store for iOS devices.
Free chess tactics! The fastest way to improve your chess game is practicing tactics, and that's exactly what this app is. For the beginner or expert, this app provides tactics of all levels. It learns your ability and only presents tactics of the right level.
More and more tactics are being added every day, so you'll never run out.
Take as many tactics as you want -- free.
Create your own tactics for others to try. Take them from your games or make up your own. Compete with others to make the toughest tactics.
Learn from your mistakes. When you get tactics wrong, you can see the solution, see an explanation for the tactic, and talk to others in the comments.
See leaderboards for the best users, the toughest tactics, and the most liked tactics.
Talk with other users on the forum - http://chesstactics.forumotion.com/
Chess Pieces - WikiCommons: jurgenwesterhof (adapted from work of Cburnett)
This application makes use of the following third party libraries:
What's New in Version 2.7.0
- Analyze tactics with a chess engine
- Open tactics in Smallfish - a free chess engine app based off the Stockfish chess engine
Fun, very useful, but primitive
I like this app & often play it as the last thing I do before going to sleep. I’ve played this app regularly for several years. Overall I like it, but there are several things really holding it back:
1. Tactic ratings are highly inflated. I’m rated 2000 in the app, but only around 1350 in real life.
2. En passant captures are too easy to overlook when they are the first move of a tactic, as in it is not obvious enough on the board that en passant is even an option. It’s frustrating to lose points on a puzzle over something dumb like that.
3. Castling, somehow, is not an option at all.
4. Lack of admin power and oversight. There are several regular players who spam the comment boxes of tactics with extreme vulgarity/hatred/racism and somehow they are not banned. These comments will eventually get deleted by admin, but those players of course should be removed completely.
Recently, Small Fish chess engine was integrated into the app so that you may see computer suggested moves (...after you have made your own attempt at the tactic). This was a great addition & really helps you explore alternative lines.
Makes me think. Improves my game. Very helpful. Craig
- Category: Games
- Updated: Dec 14, 2017
- Version: 2.7.0
- Size: 19.6 MB
- Languages: English, German, Persian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Seller: Peter Livesey
- © 2017
Compatibility: Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
Top In-App Purchases
- Enable Saved Puzzles$1.99
- Remove ads$0.99
- Green Chess Board$0.99
- Marble Chess Board$0.99
- Orange Chess Board$0.99