Draw complex molecular structures and reaction schemes using your fingertips. An easy circle gesture (U.S. Patent No. 9754085) makes even complicated polycyclic rings easy and fun to draw. Multiple double bonds or multiple functional groups are simple to add all at one time. Annotation and reaction condition text is chemically aware and properly subscripts numbers. With over 175k downloads, Chirys Draw is speeding the way scientists draw and communicate. Imagine what you will create!
Take notes at those seminars or class lectures!
Present your ideas at project or group meetings!
Draw structures and reaction schemes for your next paper!
See the how-to videos on the Chirys web site.
• Create saturated, aromatic rings and chains
• Draw reactions and reaction schemes with reaction conditions
• Draw retrosynthetic pathways
• Create multi-line text annotations with fonts and colors
• Create complex fused and spirocyclic ring systems
• Generate ion pairs
• Airdrop sharing with colleagues
• Airdrop transfer to your Macintosh
• Copy and paste images or PDFs into Pages®, Keynote®, and other applications
• Copy images to the Camera Roll
• Copy and paste between Chirys Draw and Asteris
• Send images of molecular structures by email, ready for publication
• Make publication-quality prints and images
• User-defined Groups
• Export drawings as a scalable graphics PDF
• Import and export molecules as MOL files
• Automatic identification of molecular formulas in text
• Molecular formula, weight, elemental composition, and exact mass calculations
• Automatic layout of functional groups
• Resonance and equilibrium arrows
• 24 levels of undo and redo
“Wow. First of all, please let me say that this is the single best iPad application that I have ever used (not to mention one of the best structure drawing programs on any platform). You really nailed using gestures to design and manipulate structures. The app is an awesome example of harnessing the spirit of the iPad. I was up and drawing in 30 seconds. The interface is clean, intuitive, and so very well designed. Beautiful output too.”
“I use this for all my structure drawing needs now - desktop applications are so expensive and actually harder to use than Chirys Draw. Developer is very responsive. Improvements to the app keep coming. If you're a student, or a lecturer like myself, and need to draw quality chemical structures, then look no further. Exporting features make it easy to create a structure, then email to yourself for incorporation into a Powerpoint, Keynote, Word or any other sort of document. Highly recommended, and well worth the cost (much cheaper than desktop apps and for most purposes just as functional).”
— Australian user
“Extremely well-done, very easy to learn, and elegant. It will be easier and faster other competitors to sketch high-quality structures and could be really handy for taking notes in meetings.”
“Brilliant addition to the iPad workload. This is clearly a creative application and the most full featured molecular drawing app. I think the developers here have the most motivation, and have put more original thought into this. I hope they will be encouraged to continue with their vision…”
“I wanted to let you know directly how much I appreciate this app. It works exactly as advertised, is highly capable, and is now substituting for a desktop-based chemical structure drawing app. I am right now using it to prepare structures for my pharmacognosy lectures, and it is working well.”
“The words that come to mind: Impressive. Quality. The development of Chirys Draw shows your deep, consistent, and scholarly chemistry flair and precision, and is impressive. Professional chemists will continue to love this.”
“ChirysDraw represents the best chemical drawing package to date on the iPad.”
“Thank you again for such a lovely program.”
• Update for iOS 11
• Add rotate clockwise / counter clockwise with calculated angle
• Support the import of a nitrogen atom with two or three bonds a formal charge
• Change multiple charge display from “+2” to “2+”
• Improved ring double bond drawing
• Fix bug preventing the use of bottom row of Groups
• Fix bug saving drawing images to the Cameral Roll
• Other bug fixes and performance enhancements
Ratings and Reviews
I got this app as it may
help me down the line should I ever have to convey something to someone revolving around structures.
Very difficult to use
The GUI is not user friendly. Please have a look at ChemDraw and ChemDoodle and try to implement some of their features.
Export image resolution is poor
Don't think that you are getting much more than a doodling toy at this point. The image export options mentioned by an earlier reviewer, I can live with those. What I can't live with is the poor resolution images that are exported. Furthermore, the images are also of the entire canvas, rather than just the section you drew your structure on.
The concept is great, the drawing implementation is good, but the file export options keep this app from being a Chemdraw replacement for someone who wants to go tablet only. For the price, I would expect a whole lot more, but until I can get publication (300+ dpi of a selected portion of the canvas) it is not worth the $25. Fix those problems and you have a five star review.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.