By Thomas Grapperon
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Chord! is at the same time the simplest and the most complete chords and scales app for guitar or any fretted instrument like bass, ukulele, banjo, etc.
Unlike other chord charts app, the app doesn't rely on a database of charts. Instead, it computes and analyses all the possible fingerings.
You don't even have to know music theory to use it: behind its brute force, the app knows how to handle by itself some subtleties of music in order to give meaningful results.
If you don't have to be an advanced player to use the app, you can however take a look under the hood and tweak the parameters if you like! Whatever is your level or your instrument, Chord! will adapt and give you the most precise answer.
You can search for practically any chord, split (like D/F#) or not. If you're a beginner, you can choose the chord from a list, but you can also use the intelligent keyboard to enter the chord as it is written. If this keyboard is a great way to enter chords, it is also very useful to discover and understand how the chords are formed. You can also enter some notes on a neck to find which chords it can be. You can hear how each fingering sounds.
Chords are not all and the app is also shipped with the biggest list of named scales. It analyses and presents them with nice interactive views (scale, score and keyboard). Of course it can also lay down these scales on a neck (with sound). Like for chords, you can even search for a scale from its fingering!
Each scale can be harmonized (decomposed into chords). You can also enter a sequence of chords to find which scale you can use to improvise onto.
You can use one of the hundred tunings shipped with the app, or you can add you own ones, for any instrument, with or without a capo, even with broken strings if you want!
The app uses custom and unique algorithms to generate charts, easily input complex harmonic structures, extract chords from fingerings, determine fingers positions, compute keys of scales, generate chords from scales and find scales that go well with some chords.
For example, Chord! is the right tool in these situations:
• You're a beginner and you want to know how to play easily a D/F# chord;
• One gave you an ukulele and you want to know how to tune it and how to play the G Hawaiian scale;
• You want to know on what scale you can improvise for some chord sequence (and the answer can be different than the Pentatonic minor!);
• While transcripting a song by ear, you've found something and you would like to know which chord is it and other ways to play it;
• You want to print or share a scale fingering with your band;
• You want to experiment this nice open tuning, moreover with a bottleneck;
• Your little sister can't make bar chords and you want to show her how she can do without bars, with three (little) fingers only;
• You want to impress your little sister by showing her how you can play the same chords with two bars!
• You want to understand how this fingering for C13 is actually a fingering for C13;
• You broke a string and want to know how to play some chords without;
• You want to know how Django managed to play with two and a half fingers.
The app fully support left-handed instruments.
Main functions of the app:
- Search chord fingerings (or chord charts);
- Search chords from fingerings;
- Search scale fingerings;
- Search scales from fingerings;
- Search chords from scale;
- Search scales from chords.
What's New in Version 1.1.1
• Fixed the chord name display bug.
• Interface updated for devices running iOS7.
• Improved stability.
• Some other minor glitches fixed.
• Added some tunings to the shipped list (Drop C, Drop B, and some trivial (type Ostrich) ones) so you don't have to add them yourself!
• The fingerings are computed faster.
• The interface is more reactive (favorite diagrams are scrolling without lag for example).
• Fixed a bug which caused the reverse chord search to lag in some cases.
Really solid and well done!!
Like a lot of people I have bought many scale and chord apps. They have all been useful and I've learned a great deal from them. This app really brings together the best combination of musical utility and interface usability. The layout is very intuitive and shows that a lot of time and attention was put into its design. The charts and diagrams are clean and readable. There are many options for viewing both chords and scales and the sound is very good. I have just gotten started with the app so I will have more to say about it but so far this is definitely my first choice for studying chords and scales.
This app is amazing! I've tried countless other chord apps but they were somewhat limited because there were only a few different types of chords, and a couple of tunings. With this app, I can recreate virtually any type of stringed instrument I want, and generate any chord or scale I need in real time! This app actually uses an algorithm to create chords, and then can display interactive statistics and virtual models of any given chord. This is a must have for any guitarist who likes to experiment with different tunings!
This is the best reference app I have ever used for guitar and many other stringed instruments! It is packed with features and beautifully designed and executed. The way the app calculates chords and scales instead of storing an image for each one opens it up to so many possibilities, from quick chord analysis to reverse searches (inputting the notes you're playing to find out what chord it is). I cannot recommend this app highly enough, it is worth every penny. I can't wait for the iPad version to come out!