"ChordPolyPad" is a MIDI chords player that allows you to create chord sets from a large internal library, from any combination of notes, or from chords generated randomly. Each set consists of 8 groups of 16 pads, or 2 groups of 64 pads.
In addition to play chords, each pad can generate customizable MIDI controls on its horizontal and vertical axis.
The application supports full internal and external MIDI connections for input and output, Audiobus MIDI sender, and MIDI filter routing. An internal sound bank is included.
Unlimited presets can be saved on a local device and synchronized to iCloud.
• 8 groups of 16 pads or 2 groups of 64 pads by preset (128 pads)
• MIDI port and MIDI channel assignable for each pad
• Customizable X/Y controller for each pad
• Velocity assignable for each chord note
• Strumming setup by pad
• Copy and paste for pads and groups
• Draggable chords directly from library
• Searching for chords available in a defined scale
• Random chords for instant inspiration
• Internal sound bank
• Receiving MIDI notes and control from external devices
• Send MIDI to a virtual port that can be used as MIDI input by other "Core MIDI" compatible applications
• Presets manager
• "Program Change" support
• Native iCloud support
• "Files" application support
• Full support of "Split View" and "Slide Over"
Supported MIDI connections:
• Virtual "Core MIDI" connections between applications
• iOS compatible MIDI interface
• MIDI over Wifi
• MIDI over Bluetooth
• Audiobus (MIDI, state saving)
• Inter-App Audio (MIDI, audio, transport control)
An iPad or iPhone with iOS 8 or later
• Added support for new iPad Pro "all-screen design"
• Minor bugs fixed
Ratings and Reviews
I have enjoyed this app for years, and it continues to be one of the most useful tools I have for composing and studying chord progressions and voicings when away from a piano keyboard. Use it with the built in sounds for convenience, as a controller for other iOS music apps, or combine this app with the musicIO MIDI app, and a wired connection from iPhone or iPad provides a rock-solid, low-latency connection for chord input to your computer's DAW. MIDI over WiFi is also possible.
The developer is accessible by email and is very responsive to bug reports—hence the recent update with a minor bug fix. The app has received many updates and improvements over time. Well worth the price.
Best chord app yet
I've tried a plethora of chord and scale apps. None of them has the versatility of this one. The only thing that holds me back from 5 stars is the ability to play the single notes of a chord. It would be great if there was a switch on the chord note keyboard that would change it to the keys of the note of the chord selected.
Chordion has that feature but this app, which I just bought because Chordion 2 hasn't come about, is still much better than Chordion. Love the app and some of the internal sounds are pretty darn good!
Velocity Detection is Useless
Could have been the ideal app but the only realtime velocity detection is worthless. To make it perfect make the accelerometer detection adjustable and offer the option of pad position velocity selection. I.E. top, bottom, left, right, for high velocity. Dare to be different - offer velocity options.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.