Piano Companion is a flexible piano chords and scales dictionary with user libraries, reverse mode, the circle of fifths, chord progression builder with common patterns. If you can’t remember the name of a piano chord or scale, this app helps you to find it by keys or using your external MIDI keyboard. For example, just press C, G and you will get C Major as the first piano chord in the search result. If you don’t see a piano chord or a specific scale, you can create a custom piano chord or scale and use it for chord charts or your user library.
The Piano Companion app shows chord and scale notes on the grand staff, degrees, relative scales, intervals, fingering for both hands in major and minor scales – and you can contribute your own custom fingering too. Additionally, you can listen how a scale or chord sounds in the loop or arpeggiated. You can see the list of compatible chords in the selected scale or list of compatible scales for a selected chord.
The app helps you to experiment with different chord progressions using our Chord Progression Builder using relative or common chords.
- 1500+ piano chords, up to 6th inversions such as major, minor, diminished, augmented, sevenths, etc.
- 10,000+ scales, such as major, minor, chromatic, pentatonic, blues, etc.
- Chord Progression builder with scale patterns (chord sequencer)
- Interactive Circle of Fifths with grand staff and relative scales
- Ability to input your own custom chords (using our flexible math engine) and organize your own chord charts and library
- External MIDI keyboard support for reverse mode
- MIDI output (iOS) with ability to connect your favorite DAW with Piano Companion
- List of available chords in Circle of Fifths
- Popular key notations: English, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian, etc.
- Shows chord and scale in different octaves on the grand staff with treble and bass clef
- Displays compatible scales’ chords
- Displays similar and relative scales
- Analytical labels: Secondary Dominant and Secondary Leading-Tone
- Common degrees: Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominant, Dominant, Submediant, Leading tone (in Major scale) / Subtonic (in Natural Minor Scale)
- Displays compatible chords’ scales
- Ability to create custom chords or modify existing ones
- Audio support: ability to play chord in the loop or arpeggio; ability to play scale in the loop
- Arpeggio in the chord progressions
- Relative scale suggestions
- Relative chords in chord progressions
- You can create your own scale fingering and have the ability to use community scale fingerings
- User libraries with ability to add scale or chord
- You can create your own chord libraries and chord charts
- Ability to create favorite scales
- Chord Intervals: Unison, Perfect Fifth, Major Third, Minor Third, etc.
We offer the following subscription:
12 months from $2.99*
* Prices displayed are USD$, actual charges might be converted to local currency depending on your country of residence.
Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
Account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period, and the cost of the renewal will be provided.
Subscriptions may be managed by the user. Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase.
No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
Follow us on
Have questions? Community forum: http://forums.songtive.com or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Significantly improved reverse lookup results (thanks to Jean P.)
Chord Progression supports play from the current position.
Fixed issue with long scale names.
Love our app? Please rate us - each vote is very important for us! Your feedback keeps us motivated to continue development.
Have a question? Tap Help in the app or visit forums.songtive.com.
Ratings and Reviews
Give it a try, and you will see why I recommend buying the full app. It is a purchase that pays for itself many times over.
This is a must-have tool for music students and teachers.
Writing and decoding music
I use this app most when I am about to set up a score of music. The shear amount of information in this free app is incredible. I used this app on multiple occasions to figure out what key a score was written in and what type of scales were used in runs. Let me provide an example, from the movie The Terminal, the main soundtrack is written in a D minor key, and towards the end of the song the lead clarinet plays a D genus diatonicum veterum correctum (yes this is a real thing) scale pattern.
Application is very helpful
- Songtive SIA
- 77.2 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Songtive
- In-App Purchases
- All In One $5.99
- Chords PRO $1.99
- Progressions PRO $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.