Chrome - web browser by Google
By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Browse fast on your iPhone and iPad with the Google Chrome browser you love on desktop. Pick up where you left off on your other devices, search by voice, and save up to 50% of data usage while browsing.
• SYNC ACROSS DEVICES - seamlessly access and open tabs and bookmarks from your laptop, phone or tablet
• DATA SAVINGS - reduce mobile data usage by up to 50% while browsing
• FASTER BROWSING - choose from search results that instantly appear as you type and quickly access previously visited pages
• VOICE SEARCH - use the magic of Google voice search to find answers on-the-go without typing
• TRANSLATE - easily read webpages in any language
• UNLIMITED TABS - open as many tabs as your heart desires and quickly flip through them like a deck of cards
• PRIVACY - use Incognito* mode to browse without saving your history (learn more at http://goo.gl/WUx02)
What's New in Version 44.0.2403.67
• Swipe to navigate: swipe right or left to navigate backward or forward
• Swipe on the address bar to switch tabs
• Stability improvements and bug fixes
Corrected an issue that caused improper display of a settings menu.
I can't say I really had issues with Chrome back in the day. There'd never been anything standout good or bad about it. I've always appreciated the ability to easily move from one tab to another with a simple swipe, and it's the main reason I used Chrome over Safari. So this recent change, along with a weird tendency for Chrome to reload pages every time I even glance at another tab (which it used to almost never do, even with huge pages), means I'll probably be switching back to Safari for the foreseeable future.
It's a real shame when you switch software, not because the alternative has improved, but because the one you're used to keeps getting worse. I sorry, Google. It's not me, it's you.
A simple fix...
It seems there are two main camps that use this app. Those who want to be able to swipe between tabs and those who want to swipe back and forward. Personally I like the new ability to be able to swipe back and forward because that is how almost every other app out there functions and its a pain when browsing with one hand to have to reach to the top of the phone just to go back.
The simple fix would be to offer an option in the settings to be able to choose how you would like the left and right swipe to function. You could set it to switch between tabs OR go back and forward.
Hopefully google will be making this adjustment soon as to appease those of both parties.
That being said, I think the new functionality is a bit sluggish when going back. If you want to go back more than one page it has to load every page in between which is a pain.
Good but needs work
Not liking the loss of swipe tab changes. When the address bar is retracted, I liked being able to change tabs by swiping from either edge in the previous version, not needing the address bar. It still needs work on stability and memory utilization. To often when flipping between tabs, it reloads the pages. We're not talking about huge pages with lots of graphics... It shouldn't need to reload every time I flip back and forth.
- Category: Utilities
- Updated: Jul 27, 2015
- Version: 44.0.2403.67
- Size: 70.7 MB
- Languages: English, Arabic, Bokmål, Norwegian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Malay, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. This app is optimized for iPhone 5, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus.