By Google, Inc.
Open iTunes to buy and download apps.
Chromecast devices allow you to stream media to your TV or speakers using your phone, tablet or laptop. Cast your favorite content from your apps on your iPhone®, iPad®, Android device, or laptop right to the biggest screen and best speakers in the home.
The Chromecast app is your one-stop shop for exploring what you can do with Chromecast. Use the Chromecast app to:
• Easily browse trending and popular content from your Cast-enabled apps
• Explore and discover more Cast-enabled apps to watch, listen to and play on your TV
• Use voice search to find content by movie, TV show or actor
• Play, pause and change volume across all your Chromecast devices.
• Customize your TV screen with beautiful imagery
• Plus, find the latest on new apps, offers, and features added to your Chromecast.
* Some features not available in all countries
What's New in Version 1.12.5998
New content & app discovery features:
• What’s On: Browse popular and featured content from your favorite cast-enabled apps.
• Get Apps: Discover new offers and cast-enabled apps from content partners, through our curated and merchandised experience.
• Search: Find where you can cast your favorite movies and TV shows.
• iOS9 compatibility & bug fixes
I waited with baited breath for this new update! Fully aggregated streaming across all my existing apps. You know the saying, if it seems to be too good to be true... Not only does it NOT control the apps from within the main chromecast hub, (anytime you want to start steaming, it ushers you out of the chromecast hub, and into the app containing the desired content) the "streamline" of all the different sources has nothing to do with personal preferences, but whatever the most viewed content is at the time across all the apps, and nothing more. Content is searchable, but not within constraints like seasons or episodes name or number. For example, if I want to watch the latest ep of walking dead, I don't get that in the search, I get the first 5 seasons that are available on Netflix.
As it currently stands, this ap update is not ready to be widely used (or used at all...) as a hub for the streaming consumer. A LOT more work needs to go into this interface to make it more personalized, and discerning before it will be the useful asset it touted itself as, and hopes to one day be.
I was very forgiving the first 100 times my chromecast would connect and then disconnect after 1 day, but then I got sick of rebooting it by holding down that button for 25 seconds (it doesn't seem like that long, but when you're awkwardly hovering behind the tv stand for a half a minute multiple times a week you start to wonder "why so long, Google?"). I changed the security options on my router, I added the extender stick, and talked with a woman on the phone for ~30minutes with no results from supports end, yet it was me who figured out my security settings on my router had reset. Now, every time I go to use chromecast I check my router settings first, then reset the hardware itself, and pray to sweet yeezus that it will work... But alas, I have been defeated by you're piece of junk. I hate you.
P.S. My tv is currently showing the "ready to cast" screen, but my tablet shows that there are no devices connected. This is ridiculous, which is why I am switching to Apple TV👋🏼
I'm ecstatic, but...
Chromecast 2.0 (the new model just released this month) finally works with my Apple AirPort Extreme!! Couldn't be more thrilled. I loved my original Chromecast, back when I was using some NetGear router, and I was devastated it wasn't compatible with my AirPort Extreme when I brought that home from the store more than a year ago. So thrilled to have a Chromecast back in my life. 😁
One complaint: It *feels* like you should be able to use your Google Photos "Collections" — and not just your "Albums" — when setting up your "Backdrop". Would love to see that change made at some point down the road!!
Also looking forward to the day when this app keeps track of tv episodes I've watched through various other apps and can suggest (and notify me) when the latest episode's available to watch. But much of that depends on the various network app developers, from what I understand. Hope they're reading!! 😜
Also felt like some of the "backdrop" settings menu navigation was redundant and/or over-complicated, but I'm sure that'll all be ironed out in time.
Customers Also Bought
- Category: Entertainment
- Updated: Oct 07, 2015
- Version: 1.12.5998
- Size: 18.5 MB
- Languages: English, Afrikaans, Arabic, Armenian, Bengali, Bulgarian, Burmese, Cambodian, Catalan, Chinese, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Estonian, Filipino, Finnish, French, Georgian, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Laotian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Macedonian, Malay, Marathi, Mongolian, Nepali, Norwegian, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Singhalese, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swahili, Swedish, Tamil, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Seller: Google, Inc.
- © 2013 Google Inc.
Compatibility: Requires iOS 7.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.